Frodo vs Eden Release Relative to Stability
It seems the the updating has gotten more organized between Frodo and Eden. It looks like Frodo is getting the Windows treatment in terms of a mass consumer beta and thereby releasing a pretty polished product.

Will Frodo be more stable a release than eden was?

Also, I see there's a post-frodo section in GitHub Smile does this mean an incoming release?!?!
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
Stability is relative and frodo is a long way away. Frodo is not beta yet its still alpha there is no frodo branch yet (as of the time Im posting this)

Comparatively there is no comparison, Just the audio engine alone is totally different and better.

I doubt your going to get any dates or estimates, but code wise it seems better.

There's posts about it here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=143867 and other posts asking similar questions.

uNi
imo Frodo is less buggy atm than Eden
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-10-31, 23:55)tjcinnamon Wrote: Also, I see there's a post-frodo section in GitHub Smile does this mean an incoming release?!?!

Nah, that's just housekeeping. We had a few features that didn't make it through the gate in time for Frodo, so we pushed them to the next release, whenever that may be.

Edit: Oh wait. Just figured out what you were asking. Keep your eyes on the blog. Smile
One of the main things you will need to take into account is has you favourite addon (skins included) and external tools like sickbeard/remotes/etc been updated too work properly with frodo as there has been a lot of big changes since that need to change to maintain compatability
(2012-11-01, 00:24)Martijn Wrote: imo Frodo is less buggy atm than Eden

For me it's the opposite. For a couple months now Frodo has been the buggiest I've ever seen XBMC. They are small issues, but there are many of them and I am experiencing them on three different machines and while running both openELEC and XBMCbuntu. I've been so busy that I haven't had the time to post tickets on them.

1. The lone machine I have using HDMI experiences the screen flash to black for a brief second every couple minutes while in the GUI. If I play a video it doesn't do it.
2. One machine I have using SPDIF experiences an audio pop at the same intervals as the screen flash on the HDMI system above and likewise doesn't do it if I play a video.
3. All three machines experience random freezes while navigating the GUI that can last for up to 10 minutes and the system will become responsive again. It's not real frequent, but it happen every 3-7 days.
4. All three machines will have weird library display issues where a bunch of TV shows no longer show in the library. Reboot and they are back.
5. The new thumbnail system is better in some ways, but worse in others. It's not uncommon to reboot and it take minutes for thumbs to appear.

I'm not trying to report bugs in this thread. Just giving examples where Frodo has been very buggy for me. I'm sure many will say they have no issues, but that hasn't been my experience. Hopefully they all get sorted out before the final release. If I get the time I'll open some tickets.
I use minimal Ubuntu install though, compiling my xbmc instead of using xyz ppa and I use confluence, (always have) because 3rd party skins are always causing hangs or other xbmc problems (irrespective if skins shouldn't be able to cause such problems, fact is THEY do) that I wouldn't otherwise dont have sticking with default skin.

I haven't used a stable xbmc release in years, since I rather have my bugs fixed faster than yearly intervals and if compiling wisely and avoiding compiles when features are being committed helps a bit.

@RockDawg

5-has been fixed in mainline recently
4-not a problem
3-use default skin
2-add streamsilence to advancedsettings.xml, its probably a AE bug which is STILL not fixed
1-yes I noticed a brief flash its hardly noticeable, maybe 1 second, nothing show up on log and no point reporting it if DEVS dont notice it they wont fix it.

Lift-off I have tuned my minimal install to near perfection as you can see on my signature and using minimal install has proved better (to me at least) and more stable than xbmcbuntu or openelec.

You will always have bugs, this stable ideology is arbitrary at best in some releases you cant even install stables because they have at least 1 nasty bug that spoils it.

All considered give me mainline anyday.

uNi
(2012-11-05, 06:36)RockDawg Wrote:
(2012-11-01, 00:24)Martijn Wrote: imo Frodo is less buggy atm than Eden

For me it's the opposite. For a couple months now Frodo has been the buggiest I've ever seen XBMC. They are small issues, but there are many of them and I am experiencing them on three different machines and while running both openELEC and XBMCbuntu. I've been so busy that I haven't had the time to post tickets on them.

You cannot judge this over a period of time. You need to use the very latest builds and not those from a month ago.
Starting with those with at least build with latest code from November.

If you still experience bug please report them and provide as much data as possible (logs and so on). Also verify against the default Confluence skin and if using a 3rd party skin make sure you use the very latest versions and not the ones from repo.
Same with scripts.

@uNiversal
We know you compile them yourself but we are here to provide the best possible for the regular user who just wants to install and be done with it (openelec, XBMCuntu, windows, Apple or android).
If you know a way to help getting those more stable don't hesitate to do so by providing code or build optimization.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I cant code and am not likely to learn (too thick) and I dont use build optimizations per say just some ./configure line options. So what I can provide is already provided.

Only trying to illustrate that a month old builds are nothing to compare which you clearly observed and commented which is what you get with your precompiled offers you mention (some of them) Wink

Also nothing in topic or ops main post says explicitly pre-compled or pre-packed releases so respecting all usertypes (including the ones like me) here, my comments are reasonable imo though clearly not your opinion.

"Noted"

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo vs Eden Release Relative to Stability0