Eden thumbnail confusion
I've read a few threads on this now, and I'm still a little confused. I had xmbc 10 working fine wtih a large server hosting all the data, running MySQL to sync the library across several client boxes. It was really handy, I could add titles on one machine (and use xbne to edit entries/thumbs/etc on one machine), and all changes would automatically appear in all other machines.

Now, I'm running xbmc 11. Same setup, MySQL server, etc. The library is still synched, but I'm having some weird thumbnail problems. The fanarts are all appearing, but the thumbnails in all list views have disappeared. The thumb for a particular movie "reappears" permanently as soon as I launch the video--like as I read in some threads, for whatever the complicated sounding reason regarding how the thumb handling code works, XBMC needs to "rescan" the video (or the .nfo at least, or something) to know that it has a thumb. Note that when I go to "Movie Information" via the right-click context menu, the correct thumbnail IS shown. Checking the "Movie Information" does NOT make the thumb appear in the list view of movies.

So what am I to do, rescan my entire database onto each client? Doing my 'launch the video and quit the video, then the thumb is rescanned' trick does NOT seem to synch across multiple clients. Is there really no more centralized thumbnail feature in Eden? What are the large MySQL userbase of people supposed to have done when upgrading that obviously I didn't?

I guess I don't *really* mind re-scanning except that I like having the sort-by-date-added feature for movies. Side question I know, but is it possible to rescan the database while preserving the order in which movies were added to the database? I don't see any timestamp information for when the video was added to my database in the .nfo.

Aside from that, I absolutely love XBMC, keep up the amazing work.
There was never a centralized thumbnail feature in Eden, only hacks like path substitution. I don't know what xbne is, so I'm not sure how you are sharing the thumbs between clients.
Yeah, I've been using path substitution in advancedsettings.xml:

<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>smb://server/xbmc SQL stuff/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>

xbne is a database manager for XBMC: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59800
Ah, okay. That is weird, then. If something was wrong with the path subs then it shouldn't work at all, and your advancedsettings snippet looks about right. You shouldn't need to rescan anything in.

I'm not really sure how to go about troubleshooting this, but I can tell you that one way would be to try a development build (wiki) of Frodo (XBMC v12). In Frodo you don't need to use path subs and thumbs/art is synced via the video database (downloaded locally to each XBMC client for faster access, but XBMC will make sure the same art is downloaded on each one).
One question regarding this Frodo feature, which I'm going to try out over the weekend. I've only just converted to MySQL server library and my main HTPC contains the most up-to-date thumb collection. Once I install the latest nightly, will it copy over the image data to the database for me to then copy to other clients which I am planning on re-installing from scratch?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Eden thumbnail confusion0