Potentially very dumb question, but.....
Hi,

I am not a JSON developer, merely a humble home automation systems programmer (Crestron) with only a very sketchy knowledge of XBMC/JSON mechanics.

My question is as follows. I am working on a project which includes a Pioneer receiver (VSX-2021) which has DLNA functionality. The client's music is stored on a NAS which he currently accesses using XBMC on a Windows PC.

I can access the same music using the DLNA functionality of the receiver, but the user interface on the receiver is lousy and slow with no search functionality. I can also access the XBMC server from the Crestron program using an open source module here (http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-crestron/).

What I would like to do is to "replace" the XBMC control functionality on the receiver with that of the Crestron touchscreen, but still have the music directed through the Pioneer receiver, without having to connect the PC directly to the receiver. Is this possible?

I appreciate the receiver and the Crestron controller are making separate remote connections to the PC but am unclear how things are working from there.

If my question makes sense to anyone, can you provide me with some guidance?

Many thanks
Marc
If I follow you correctly you want to do the same as every other remote, iPhone, Andriod, webinterface etc.? If that's correct, then, yes. And feel free to ask some more questions. A number of people use automation already I believe.
AWXi - Ajax web interface. Wiki
Basically you crestron screen would just be a remote control. You could do the same thing by buying a cheap android tablet with the XBMC remote (once updated for Frodo, or directly on Eden). Or mount an iPad on the wall would also do the same thing.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated.

I think you understand me correctly and if not it's purely down to my lack of articulation. Yes, what I want to do is to select "XBMC" on a list of DLNA servers that the Pioneer receiver will present to the Crestron program. At the same time the Crestron program is making it's own connection to the same XBMC server. I then want to use the Crestron - XBMC link and not the receiver - XBMC link to control the server given the vastly richer and customisable interface.

As long as the XBMC server is only doing one thing at a time and tells the Crestron controller and Pioneer receiver the same thing at the same time then this has to work right?
Just to add to this hopefully in further clarification.

The reason we want to use XBMC and a DLNA connection is permit streaming of the client's 24/96khz and 24/192khz music (Apple Lossless), something he can't do without putting an expensive DAC in the mix between the music server and the Pioneer receiver.

I am also assuming that XBMC will accept simultaneous connections from two remotes. As things stand I can't seem to get the receiver to see the XBMC server. Control from the Crestron program is working splendidly.

Marc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Potentially very dumb question, but.....0