Frodo Alpha 7 with HTTP/JSON Disabled
I have been trying to install the end of October nightly for Windows but seem to be having problems with control of the system by http (JSON or HTTP). Not sure what the issue is. Worked fine on the 08/31 nightly I have been using. Not sure what would have changed. I tried setting the JSONRPC port but that didn't really help.

Haven't been able to use my irule application which I had been using to control XBMC.

Anyone else having this problem?
I guess the "problem" is that we have removed the long deprecated HTTP-API so if you use that in your iRule it won't work because it isn't available anymore. You have to change your commands to use JSON-RPC.

But your problem description is very limited. "It doesn't work anymore" is no precise problem description. Do you get an error message? What doesn't work anymore? Can't you start the webserver or can you not enable a setting in XBMC? There are soo many things that could go wrong.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2012-11-04, 14:34)Montellese Wrote: I guess the "problem" is that we have removed the long deprecated HTTP-API so if you use that in your iRule it won't work because it isn't available anymore. You have to change your commands to use JSON-RPC.

But your problem description is very limited. "It doesn't work anymore" is no precise problem description. Do you get an error message? What doesn't work anymore? Can't you start the webserver or can you not enable a setting in XBMC? There are soo many things that could go wrong.

Well that answers half the question. My ability to troubleshoot JSON-RPC errors is pretty limited. It's pretty complicated compared to the HTTP which you could test from a browser. My hope with the post is someone else had the same problem and already figured it out. I don't see any issues outstanding re this.

Anyway, basically I have the JSON-RPC working fine under the 8/31/12 version. I use iRule to send the messages via my iphone/ipad. When I upgrade, it doesn't work at all. I've tried using the Google REST client but don't get any response to anything I send to my IP address/port. I tried manually setting the port (to 9090) to see if that woud help. It didn't. I tried taking down Windows firewall (though I don't know why that would be a version issue). No luck. I've deleted my profile folder multiple times to see if that was the issue. No dice...

The webserver does not work but hasn't worked for a long time for me. No idea why that is. Whenever I do to the webserver site, I get "file not found" from the browser. However, again it didn't work on 8/31 and JSON worked so not sure what the change is.

I see nothing in the XBMC log to indicate an error. Past that, I really don't know how to troubleshoot. I'm a "power user" but not a developer by any stretch.
9090 is not the best port to choose because XBMC already uses that port for JSON-RPC TCP connections. I usually set the webserver port to 8080.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
(2012-11-04, 16:30)Montellese Wrote: 9090 is not the best port to choose because XBMC already uses that port for JSON-RPC TCP connections. I usually set the webserver port to 8080.

Actually I set it to 9090, but that didn't work anyway. 8080 was the only thing that worked under 8/31. Will try setting manually to 8080 and see if that makes any difference.

Oh, I switched the webserver to a custom one and that works fine by the way.
What do you get when you go to <ip>:<port>/addons ?

A simple JSONRPC test is:
Code:
{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "JSONRPC.Introspect", "id": 1 }

If there is still nothing, make sure debug logging is on and pastebin etc. the xbmc.log with a few tries in.
AWXi - Ajax web interface. Wiki
So I have the webserver set to port 8082, no password/userID. I have the JSONRPC set to 8080. Custom webservers work fine including the remote portions of them.

JSON-RPC doesn't work on that port, 9090 or 8082... I am setting it to 8080 in my advanced settings. It must be doing something because if I try to set up the webserver on 8080, it fails...
OK, I'm starting a new thread since I think my problem is related to iRule. Specifically, something was done to JSON-RPC to screw up what was previously working for iRule.
I think you are confused on the ports. 9090 by default is the TCP port for JSONRPC. You can use the HTTP port (from the web server so always the same port as the web server) to POST and GET JSONRPC commands. You do not need to change the 9090 default unless you have something already using that port.

So, say you set the web server port to 8080 (default?). You can then use a POST or GET request to that port.
Code:
<xbmc ip>:8080/jsonrpc?myapp
AWXi - Ajax web interface. Wiki

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo Alpha 7 with HTTP/JSON Disabled0