"Install XBMCBuntu" launches XBMC instead of installation tool
Hello

I used pendrive to make a bootable USB with xbmcbuntu. I want to install it to another USBdrive.

So I boot it up, chose "install xbmcbuntu" then XBMC launches instead of the installation program. Why? What could you possibly do wrong in these steps..

Driving me so crazy I'm about to install the more RELIABLE (YES I SAID IT) WINDOWS instead.

Cheers.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

Did you download the xbmcbuntu-11.0.iso image from www.xbmc.org/download or a different version from some other site?
Yup, that's the place.

The only storage plugged into the computer btw is 2 16GB usb drives, one with the installer and one to be "installed to".
Try the following:
  1. Boot your system with the installer thumbdrive and select the "Try Ubuntu" option. This should boot into XBMC.
  2. Click the Shutdown menu in XBMC (lower-left corner) and select "Exit"
  3. You should be presented with a log-in screen. Click "Other..." and enter xbmc as the login and select XBMCbuntu from the dropdown menu (below the Login field).
  4. Click "Login" and you will be prompted for the Password; just leave it blank.
  5. Click "Login" again and the XBMCbuntu desktop should be displayed.
  6. On the top-left corner of the desktop should be an icon to install Ubuntu. Double-click the icon and, hopefully, you'll get the installation wizard this time.
Dude! I've actually seen that icon but didn't really remember it!

You're a genious! Thank you!
Well. New problem. :/

Went through installation, looked at the USB stick and the files etc are all there. But when I try to boot from the drive it says "missing operating system".

Could something go wrong in the installation? I think I set a 500mb swap partition and a 15,5GB primary with "/" and ext4.
Simply tried again and got it to work this time around.

Thanks for the help before. Smile All solved now.
Great, glad you got it sorted! I'm not sure why the install option on the Try vs. Install page didn't work for you. I've not had that problem with XBMCbuntu and don't readily recall that being an issue with others. However, I did encounter that same situation when trying to install Lubuntu a couple of versions ago and, in that situation, there was a known bug in the installer and the workaround was what I had described above... so, I thought the same trick might work for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Install XBMCBuntu" launches XBMC instead of installation tool0