• 9(current)
Win Win32 x64 XBMC x64 port - work in progress
@WiSo/Karlson2k

As I found some things when working on the POC I created another commit https://github.com/Skixbmc/xbmc/commit/c...e49981b510
Any comments?
Silverstone Grandia GD02-MT | AMD A8-3850 | Breakaway Audio Enhancer, HK AVR-365 | HKTS 30, Philips 50PFL7956H/12 21:9 3D
Is this project still alive?
Right now the advantages of a 64 bit version are growing. For example hevc software decoding is 2 to 3 times faster in 64 bit ffmpeg than 32 bit (at least according to tests with lav filters and 64 bit renderers http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1689312) and right now (and probably for 2/3 years) hardware acceleration isn't an option
Yups, but not on that location :-). Maybe, maybe I will update the project on that location in the future....
Silverstone Grandia GD02-MT | AMD A8-3850 | Breakaway Audio Enhancer, HK AVR-365 | HKTS 30, Philips 50PFL7956H/12 21:9 3D
(2014-09-16, 11:18)Skixbmc Wrote: Yups, but not on that location :-). Maybe, maybe I will update the project on that location in the future....

What is the location? I would like to participate in the development if possible.
You could start looking through the branches of Karlsons github: https://github.com/Karlson2k/xbmc
Main problems was libs x64 compatibility.
Currently we have relatively stable MinGW w64 and almost all libs are working fine in 64 bits.
So current focus on Kodi code. Need to carefully remove all assuming sizeof(int)==sizeof(pointer) and "upgrade" dll loader for PE/COFF x64 extension.
There might need to be a focus on this in preperation for Windows 9 as the rumour is it'll be x64 only, hopefully more details will be forthcoming in the event that's coming up soon that's supposed to launch the official Technical Preview version.
It will still run 32bit applications - no worries ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Of course it will still run 32 bit apps. XBMC is not the only app without a 64 bit version...
(2014-09-19, 13:43)Memphiz Wrote: It will still run 32bit applications - no worries ...

Doh, must be completely brain dead today, not been feeling well so I blame that Wink
Hi, i have made some tests...

Played this file:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/88zuz6...aq-psy.mp4
2160p50 x265

my computer is an [email protected]
Nvidia GTX 670

Basically 32-bit versions of xbmc and mpc-hc weren't able to play video. They reached max CPU, and were struggling. 64-bit of mpc-hc and mpc-be worked flawlessy. With mpc-be 64 bits only reached 8%.

So a 64 bit version of XBMC is indeed important... HEVC decoding is much better at 64 bit.
Your comparison is not correct. You need tocompare cpu utilisation of mpc-hc 32 vs. mpc-hc 64 and still then its wrong because you don't know which special code pathes are in mpc-hc 64. You would need a player which is programmed in a generic way and then once compile it with an 32bit compiler and then compile it without codechange with a 64bit compiler to see the benefit of just the architecture change. The fact that mpc-be can play a file with only 8% CPU load doesn't mean that kodi can do this (architecture/design has a big influence on how those tests turn out and is nothing that can change easily).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2015-02-17, 17:39)Memphiz Wrote: Your comparison is not correct. You need tocompare cpu utilisation of mpc-hc 32 vs. mpc-hc 64 and still then its wrong because you don't know which special code pathes are in mpc-hc 64. You would need a player which is programmed in a generic way and then once compile it with an 32bit compiler and then compile it without codechange with a 64bit compiler to see the benefit of just the architecture change. The fact that mpc-be can play a file with only 8% CPU load doesn't mean that kodi can do this (architecture/design has a big influence on how those tests turn out and is nothing that can change easily).

I also used OpenElec 64-bit on the same PC. It can play the file correctly with no problem. After that i run Openelec i386 on the same PC. It didn't played the file without hipcups. Full CPU was reached. Is this a correct test?

I compare mpc-hc 32 vs mpc-64 bit... It might not be the perfect comparisasion, but the main idea is that 64 bit HEVC, it's way better then 32 bit.

You can read on x265 doom9 forum. There is a huge gain in a 64 bit vs 32 bit, decoding HEVC.
yeah thats a better test Smile
IMO the best test would be to run ffmpeg 32-bit vs ffmpeg 64-bit, possibly compiled without HW acceleration. Not sure it has HW acceleration for HEVC though :-).

I'm actually surprised the gain is that big. Yes, there are gains to be had from a 64-bit arch. But that much? sounds weird.

Where is the port managed? Which github repo? I have quite a bit of experience with 32-bit to 64-bit conversions...
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win32 x64 XBMC x64 port - work in progress5