Playback Problems on Eden
I've been using XBMC Eden 11.0 for about 8 months now, and have had this problem ever since the upgrade from Dharma. Sporadically when launching a video file the video will not begin playback. I hear audio for a few seconds and the playback timer starts counting upwards, but after 10 secs or so the whole system freezes and I have to restart.

My videos are being shared out from a NAS server over CIFS to an Acer Revo box running Xbmcbuntu and Eden or wires. One problem area with the setup is that my network card on the NAS is only 10/100 BASE-T, which may be an issue. However, I NEVER had these types of problems when running Dharma on the exact same hardware. SD through 1080p playback would be rock solid back then, but ever since Eden I've had to reboot about one in every eight times I launch a video. Does anyone have any ideas or tips?

Here is a log with the problem:

http://pastebin.com/PkaRbEwR
same here... i've had running xbmc eden stable for some tkme without having problems. but after upgrade (dist-upgrade, newer eden build) i have exactly the same problem as kaela.
files are hosted on another xbmc (ubuntu) and shared over nsf and shared lib mysql. i would really appriciate some hints. just tell me what logs you need Huh
apt-get dist-upgrade the destroyer strikes again.

uNi
I've only been running the stable version of Eden from a clean Xbmcbuntu install, so no dist-upgrades from on my end. It sounds like we have similar issues though.
FWIW, I've had the same problem with my XBMC boxes (both custom-built and Acer Revos) sharing off an SMB-based file server (all gigabit, so I don't think that's the problem) since upgrading to Eden as well. Was combing the forums looking for a solution...
Its important to remember that XBMC newer versions include new features and settings, as such sometimes the guisettings are incompatible and it is best to start fresh with a new guisettings.xml.

half of this stuff can be gone with renaming userdata for testing andnot forgetting audio problems/changes do also affect playback

People forget the basics stuff and often is easily overlooked.

That said doing apt-get dist-upgrade is usually (99.999%) a bad idea because it upgrades too many Linux packages in one go and config files are sometimes not same across versions just like xbmc config files are different across major versions.

This is why more often than not reinstalling fresh fixes most of this stuff.

But of course you guys already know this? Right?

uNi
had no dist upgrade since last reinstall... just deleted guisettings.xml and yet i now i got this error again... worked for about a month and now it's the same error... happens only on my "server xbmc" (files local).
Sad

oh... just saw the topic... i'm running frodo rc3
I'm having the same issue, I thought it was just me. I am running XBMCuntu Eden, haven't done any dist-upgrades but did do some regular apt-get upgrades along the way which I thought may have started the issue. I was hoping that a fresh install to Eden (when the final comes out) may have fixed whatever it is but it seems like it may not. I have been meaning to go through the xbmc logs to see if I can figure out what is happening, I know that the system is still running when this happens as I can SSH into the box and kill the xbmc.bin process to restart it, it seems like it is just XBMC that is locking up. I will try to get a copy of the logs the next time it happens, it seems to be pretty sporadic and I haven't found a way yet to consistently reproduce it.
Client: XBMCuntu Frodo - ASRock ION 330 Pro - Logitech Harmony One
Server: 4U NORCO RPC-4220 20-drive case - UnRAID 5.0 - 38 TB parity-protected storage

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback Problems on Eden0