Streacom FC8 FM2 Trinity build log - need help!
(2012-12-03, 04:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Also, ASRock told me to update the BIOS.
I thought that his mobo is MSI....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
When you say the streacom IR is working - do you mean fully? I had it working ok with a few basic XBMC commands, but I it certainly didn't respond like a normal MCE remote...

Can you give a few more details about how you set it all up (I gave up and went to an external IR receiver)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
(2012-12-03, 04:52)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-03, 04:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Also, ASRock told me to update the BIOS.
I thought that his mobo is MSI....

I understand that an ASRock motherboard and a MSI motherboard are made by different manufacturers, but thought maybe my parallel experience might help the OP solve his issues. I was offering some of my own experience with my A10-5700 and ASRock FM2A75M-ITX, which included downclocking the CPU and updating my BIOS.

Is that a problem or are you just trying to nitpick my posts again?

(2012-12-03, 05:32)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Is that a problem or are you just trying to nitpick my posts again?
No problem or nitpick my friend, and you seem to defended by every little thing. ....I just want to make sure that you didn't suggest a guy to up date AsRock bios...that is all....
(2012-12-03, 05:56)bluray Wrote:
(2012-12-03, 05:32)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Is that a problem or are you just trying to nitpick my posts again?
No problem or nitpick my friend, and you seem to defended by every little thing. ....I just want to make sure that you didn't suggest a guy to up date AsRock bios...that is all....

It might be your need to reply to every post I make with these kinds of comments. I am pretty sure he wouldn't have loaded an ASRock BIOS into his MSI motherboard based on my comment. We're not that stupid.

(2012-12-03, 06:12)Dougie Fresh Wrote: We're not that stupid.
That is very good.....and you're in my ignore list till you calm down!

Good, now we can get back to talking about the A10-5700. I have a couple of MSI motherboards coming hoping they behave power wise a little better than the ASRock. It sounds like though heat and power are still going to be an issue. At least that option is there to turn off the Turbo and underclock it.
(2012-12-03, 04:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote: To get my A10-5700 cooled off I turned off Turbo and cranked the frequency down to 2.8GHz or something like that. Make sure the voltage goes down as well. There was a thread here somewhere about this. That's still plenty of CPU for HTPC and the GPU will still be running at stock. It made huge difference in power usage and temperatures.

Also, ASRock told me to update the BIOS.

Are you doing manual voltage control? MSI wont allow it on this motherboard.
(2012-12-03, 11:50)tutu Wrote:
(2012-12-03, 04:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote: To get my A10-5700 cooled off I turned off Turbo and cranked the frequency down to 2.8GHz or something like that. Make sure the voltage goes down as well. There was a thread here somewhere about this. That's still plenty of CPU for HTPC and the GPU will still be running at stock. It made huge difference in power usage and temperatures.

Also, ASRock told me to update the BIOS.

Are you doing manual voltage control? MSI wont allow it on this motherboard.

I did, yes, I adjusted the frequency and voltage manually. I wish I could find that other thread here where someone else had the same issue and we discussed it. Does reducing the frequency reduce the voltage automagically on the MSI? I'll have it this week to try myself as well. Hopefully I can avoid blowing another 120W PSU.
(2012-12-03, 15:04)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I did, yes, I adjusted the frequency and voltage manually. I wish I could find that other thread here where someone else had the same issue and we discussed it. Does reducing the frequency reduce the voltage automagically on the MSI? I'll have it this week to try myself as well. Hopefully I can avoid blowing another 120W PSU.

One thing - looks like my lockup was actually caused by catalyst 12.11 beta 8 - I was using 12.10 before and I have gone back to that. But (with the case on) - if I leave it in the BIOS the temp eventually rises to 77c and then I turn it off to prevent damage!! So I will try lowering the clocks. I have disabled 2 cores, that definitely reduces power usage quite a lot. (in the BIOS no power saving is present). I watched a film on XBMC last night - no issues at all.

I just tested it.

With default clock - 3.4ghz - vcore is 1.36v
With clock at 2.8ghz - vcore is 1.248v

BUT then I changed it back to 3.4ghz.. and it was now 1.240v.. so it doesn't appear quite so straight forward!!

What voltage are you setting for 2.8ghz?

I used to build my own PCs but I stopped doing that when I made the jump to laptops a couple of years ago so no risk of flashing wrong BIOS!!.
(2012-12-03, 05:31)bossanova808 Wrote: When you say the streacom IR is working - do you mean fully? I had it working ok with a few basic XBMC commands, but I it certainly didn't respond like a normal MCE remote...

Can you give a few more details about how you set it all up (I gave up and went to an external IR receiver)

In Windows it loads the default driver to emulate a mouse and keyboard. You have to change it in device manager to a ehome receiver.

I haven't been able to get it to turn on the system yet (I am sure it's something wake on USB?) but nothing happens.

I've updated to a BETA BIOS and there is now Windows 8 support including 'fast boot'. I would have to do a clean install however, using UEFI install to use it. As it's beta, I don't think I will yet.
I want to say it was like 1.0475 but I don't recall. That setup is in pieces but now that I have a 180W E-i7 system I'll be putting it back together for more testing and will repost with results.

Sigh... so many things to try, so little time...
I just installed MPC-BE (Media Player Classic). I was able to get 23.976 Hz output Smile

I don't understand why XBMC goes to 2 decimal places? It only reports 23.98
OK I have a major problem... ran a memtest and after 18 minutes lots of errors. It might be the RAM.. but I think it's the heat making the RAM have errors. I am trying re-seating the CPU cooler.

Just ran the test again with case off and reseated cooler.. fails after 18 minutes. But.. according to BIOS it's only 50c!! Time to get some 30nm RAM!!

RAM felt hot shortly after starting the test.
That's it, Samsung 30nm RAM ordered and.... another A6. Time to downgrade!!
How did you disable 2 cores in the A10 with msi motherboard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streacom FC8 FM2 Trinity build log - need help!0