• 21(current)
Win HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)
Yeah, I've tried to get my receiver to be displayed but no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to switch to the receiver.

I have an AMD 7850 connected to a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver. I posted the images. I disabled the other HDMI device since I don't use S/PDIF.

Also, I have disabled CEC related options but that presents other issues. It looks like whenever my PC goes to sleep then wakened I get issues with HDMI shaking. I'll get errors about my video card not having enough RAM or getting black screen if I try connecting remotely. If this needs to be disabled, I'll have to get a $90 device (Gefen HDMI Detective Plus) to address the issue. I went through the EDID process listed in the tutorial in your post that doesn't seem to do anything on my end.

Just do I'm clear, on the AVR you've tried in the HDMI settings:

HDMI Control: Off
Audio output: Amp
Standby Through: Off

What exactly do you mean by this statement "I'll get errors about my video card not having enough RAM or getting black screen if I try connecting remotely", how do you mean remotely?

Do you know what the second High Definition Audio Device (the lower non-AMD one) in Device Manager is? what is shown when you go to Properties for it?

When you say you've been through the EDID process, have you been over to AVSForum and asked Tulli for an EDID override file?
Can you also check the Properties of the AMD driver under Sound, video and game controllers, just want to be sure it's not a Microsoft provided driver via Windows update.
Yeah, I've turned off those options in my AVR. When I do, my system doesn't seem to handle handshaking very well. Connect remotely - I mean I do most of my HTPC configuration using Teamviewer off my main desktop. After the HTPC wakes from sleep, I get a black screen when connecting through Teamviewer. I have to turn on my TV to be able to view my HTPC desktop through Teamviewer. If I have HDMI control on, this is not an issue. I'll also get it a Windows error that my video card does not have enough RAM to support whatever it is trying to support.

EDID - I created it myself using the instructions given. I would imagine that they are correct but asking Tulli to verify

I believe the second HDMI device is my sound card? Not sure what else it would be otherwise. The drivers are generic ones but I can see about installing the ASUS drivers if it would make any difference. I just didn't think it would since the AMD device is what is used?

That looks ok, the OEM Asus ones shouldn't any difference, the important thing is that Driver Provider doesn't show as Microsoft.

The one I was wondering about was the highlighted one in the attachment, is that the SPDIF output Huh
Yeah, I know. That's what I'm referring to as my sound card. I disabled it so that I wouldn't see S/PDIF in my sound properties. It doesn't seem to make a difference if I have that High Definition Audio Device disabled or not
Ok so everything system wise would appear fine, so you've certainly been able to produce an unusual problem for sure Huh Normally with EDID issues the would be a secondary sign other than the TV being reported as the connected device, like Max Number of Channel showing as 6 (for 5.1) or TrueHD/DTS-HD missing from Encoded Formats so the true capabilities of the AVR not being shown, you don't have this Huh However I'm stumped for the moment to think of anything it could be apart from EDID, so seek advice from Tulli and he should at least be able to confirm if it's as it should be, and if so that would eliminate one more thing as being source of the problem.
Btw, there are known issue with passthrough of DD+ (EAC3) files, avoid using files containing this for your tests at the moment, use only normal DD (AC3) and TrueHD for the moment to test.
Oh ok. Would that apply to both 12 and 12.1. The majority of my hd Dvd rips use this format

I'll give true hd more focus then. I think I spent more time with the dd+ because I have a lot more movies using that. I'll report back tonight.

I've also considered reformatting windows and starting from scratch to see if that helps in any way. Do you think it's worth trying?
There is a workaround for the DD+ (EAC3) issue which is have XBMC decode it to LPCM by unselecting the "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver" option, what I'm suggesting is to make sure you've got normal AC3 and TrueHD working before you do this. Issue applies to all versions of Frodo including the upcoming 12.2.

As for reformatting & starting from scratch, then if all else fails yes as maybe something is corrupt and EDID isn't being interpreted rightly or something is slightly messed up with drivers, but try & confirmation from Tulli on the EDID though.
Ok I'll give that a try in the morning as it's been a long day

I did get one thing to work properly to make sure it's not my receiver or video card that is of issue - I ended up installing Shark007's codecs and used his suggested settings. The test files I've been using to check for Dolby Digital Plus and True HD work perfectly in Windows Media Player after the codec installing. When I check the information window when the files are playing, I see the appropriate logos.
Ok. Looks like TrueHD is working. And looks like all other formats are working as well. Not sure why it's any different now for TrueHD but I'm just happy it's working

You were right about DD+. Unfortunately, I have quite a few of those because of HD-DVDs I ripped to mkv a while back. The issue is solved by turning off that option as you mentioned

So the issue is known and they are prioritizing? I guess I can live with PCM for now till it gets addressed but would have been nice to know that it is being looked into
Glad you've eventually managed to get it working.

Out of interest, how does the HDMI device report now in the Windows Sound screens? any difference? or still shows as Sony TV?
@andyd - so what did change to rectify the problem - was it the introduction of the corrected EDID information Tulli asked for?
I haven't actually gotten the EDID from Tulli yet. And jjd-uk, it still shows up as Sony TV

I don't think I've done really anything different to address the issues with XBMC besides disabling the DTS / AC3 receiver. I'm starting to think that I kept trying DD+ movies which weren't working because of the bug and wasn't properly checking TrueHD. That's the only thing I can think of. That the system was already working as it should but I was thinking otherwise since I wasn't aware of the DD+ bug

Outside of XBMC I spent some time trying to make sure my receiver was working properly since "Sony TV" keeps showing up in properties. I was working with Shark007 / WMP, TMT and MPC-HC. As it is, Shark007 / WMP seems to work all the time and the others I need to still figure out why it's not bitstreaming. TMT is the one I'm most confused about but I'm waiting on support to communicate.
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Solve audio problems + video stutter (audio induced)10