Damn it! Why do I keep getting duplicates?
Heart 
I try and try to receive movies from my external drive (FSmile but they are never all listed in Eden and some are even listed two or three times...! I put each one in their own folder with movie title and date...Would some one please help me...?
Thankyou for reading.
Does that drive stay permanently connected to your system as the F: drive? Or do you hot-plug it and the drive location may change each time (depending on which other drives you have connected at time)?
Thank you for replying. I get your point...It's always F: .....
I'm assuming you are either missing or seeing duplicate movie titles when using the Library view (Movies > Titles)?
And that Files view (Videos > Files) lists all the movie files on your F: drive?
Yes, I see duplicates, but only one is valid and the other shows not available and "would I like to remove it from the line up?" when I click on it...
Art, would you please type me the proper steps to take to add movies...? And please don't send me to a URL or a wiki short cut.
Are the ones with duplicates also ones that have multiple files for the movie, ie cd1 cd2 ?
Each movie comes from it's own separate folder that is named and dated for the year of the movie. Occasionally there may be one more info or picture file within that folder. No CD1 or 2.
(2012-12-05, 23:56)TroyR Wrote: I try and try to receive movies from my external drive (FSmile but they are never all listed in Eden and some are even listed two or three times...! I put each one in their own folder with movie title and date...Would some one please help me...?
Thankyou for reading.

This problem plagued me. XBMC has some very "dodgy" ways of dealing with certain situations that seems to cause this. Things that triggered duplicates for me included
  • The drive mappings changing (XBMC will NOT clean up the DB of old links)
  • Changing from a static drive mapping to a UNC mapping (so when you add a source adding fist f: then later adding //machine/share)
  • Source locations changing in any way (so you move your files from one drive or one folder to another)
  • Various combinations of drives losing their mapping (machine down) and automatic scans

The list goes on. Clean database does absolutely nothing whatsoever to fix these either and the only real choice you have is to delete the db files and start again.

The way I've solved this problem (permanently) is to

1. Use .nfo files for every single film/program. I use the Ember Media Manager to auto create them (though I think it's broken at the moment but there are others too). This then means I don't give a toss if I have to trash the database due to corruption as rebuilds are fast and 100% accurate (and it corrupts/breaks depressingly regularly despite me being a veteran user - the most recent between Frodo RC1 and RC2 where I lost the ability to see program information)
2. Use Link Shell Extension Website which allows you to create Symbolic Links to your remote files so it doesn't matter in the slightest whether you change drive letters or even the location of the top level folder. You just re-link it to the new location and XBMC has no idea.

It's far from perfect but until someone can be bothered to provide better editing and database management/support/cleaning it's the only way I found to do it repeatably and reliably.

G
(2012-12-06, 02:48)TroyR Wrote: Art, would you please type me the proper steps to take to add movies...? And please don't send me to a URL or a wiki short cut.

At present, XBMConcierge® service is available only to a limited number (drawn by lottery) of fully paid and vetted members of the yet to be proposed PlatinumPlus® pilot program in selected, unspecified locales. Should this policy change in the future and you wish to be notified, please subscribe to this thread. In the meantime, please refer to these wiki articles which explain how to setup media sources, properly name files, set content, and scan them into the library:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...ia_sources
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...les/Movies
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...d_scanning

The XBMC wiki is an excellent source of information, including step-by-step guides, on how to use, maintain and update the XBMC application. The wiki is available 24x7, free of charge, to all XBMC forum members and guests.
(2012-12-06, 02:48)TroyR Wrote: Yes, I see duplicates, but only one is valid and the other shows not available and "would I like to remove it from the line up?" when I click on it...
Art, would you please type me the proper steps to take to add movies...? And please don't send me to a URL or a wiki short cut.

Depending on the skin/settings you are using you can highlight a movie and press info and the path to the file will be displayed. Compare the path for the two duplicates and see what is different.
(2012-12-06, 02:48)TroyR Wrote: Art, would you please type me the proper steps to take to add movies...? And please don't send me to a URL or a wiki short cut.

XBMC is not the type of software that comes out of the box pre-configured for the myriad of tastes/preferences out there. It takes some work to get it set up to your liking, and there are resources at your disposal to help you along the way (most notably, these forums and the wiki). The people that choose to help other people out are doing so on their own time in their own way and in whatever manner they feel is most efficient and effective. The wiki is extremely helpful, and in most cases accurate. Typically, if something has changed and is no longer accurate someone will correct it or make a note of differences between versions of XBMC.

If something in the wiki is not accurate, then absolutely anyone can register for a wiki account, for free, and edit it too correct errors or at least make notes of changes. Beyond a specific issue having incorrect information, there is no good reason to ignore wiki links. Turning down help from the wiki is insulting to the people that put their time and effort into creating, maintaining, and adding to it. Wiki links are posted in the forums on a regular basis because people just like you come to the forums every single day and ask for someone to hold their hand and explain something that has been explained a million times already, and already has a wiki page explaining it.

If you want specific help that is not covered in the thousands of posts here or on the wiki pages, you need to provide specifics on your unique problems that none of those resources have helped to resolve. Otherwise, someone is just wasting their time helping you resolve something that has been documented, to death, a million times already-- when that person could instead be spending that time helping someone with more unique issues. People here are happy to help, in general, but when they are kind enough to provide you with a link to a solution that you could have found for yourself, it's pretty rude to complain about it. Would it be better if instead of copy/pasting the link we instead just copy/pasted the wiki page for you? Good grief.

/rant

(Bad day at work dealing with people just like this Undecided )

(2012-12-06, 06:32)artrafael Wrote: ....yet to be proposed PlatinumPlus® pilot program in selected, unspecified locales.

So, are you telling me the service plan that shady looking dude on the corner sold me is not legit? The card he gave me says XBMC PlatinumPlus....

Awesome response.
Great post artrafael Smile

T800 response regarding looking at the file in question is usually how I troubleshoot these problems. Usually it's either:

a) I've inadvertently moved a video file into the wrong folder so it displays the movie containing the 2 video files twice
b) I've renamed the video file, or updated it with a new better quality/widescreen version and didn't remove the original from the library first

Either way the source file for a library entry can often help troubleshoot.
Hey TroyR,

I think what you need to do is start from scratch and re-scan everything. Each time you move or rename a file you'll get a new entry + it will keep the old one. When you go to open the old one it realizes that it doesn't exist and at that time asks you if you want to remove it.

I've had some issues with duplicates and the reasons seem to be:

Changing file names (I changed some so that the scraper would find them properly)
Changing the add-on's that I use to scrape etc. (it seems like each scraper may have added its own entry here and there).

Go here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Vid...d_scanning

Scroll right to the bottom.

See where it says
Quote:Refresh by source/folder

Remove a source/folder from the library by changing the content setting to "None".
When XBMC asks you if you want to remove those items from the library, say yes.
XBMC will then show a progress bar and remove those entries.
Changing it back to what it was before. *<---- Can someone with access to the Wiki changes this to better english?
XBMC will then rescan in those entries.

Do that. Remove the source from your library and then re-add it as a source again. It'll scan everything and should fix your problem.

I've only had XBMC for a few days so I hope I've got this right! Good Luck!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Damn it! Why do I keep getting duplicates?0