Help with A6-5400 build
So, I've got everything together to make a cheap box.

Here is the general stuff
motherboard: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53
cpu: AMD A6-5400k
memory: 4gb crucial ballistix ddr3

When I power things on, the fans start spinning, and there are no beep codes (though not sure this means much.. keep reading), but I don't get any video out of HDMI or VGA. I don't get any beep codes when I take out both sticks of memory either though.

Anyone run into something like this? I've tried things with a known working power supply, so I know that isn't the issue. tried with individual sticks of ram. I don't have a PCI-E card to try to see if that works, buy I may try to pick up a very cheap on just to see if I get video or not..

So I'm thinking it is either the APU or the Motherboard. any way to figure out which, before returning them? I think the motherboard is backordered and it isn't always the easiest thing to find the mini-itx fm2 boards in stock anywhere...

Thanks.
Make sure both the 24pin and 4 pin power connectors are plugged in and seated firmly.

Did you latch the CPU in firmly?
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
24pin connector and 4pin connector are both in and secure. I've already reseated my cpu, so that is in good too.

I just found a review on newegg where I got my ram (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820148488), that says they had compatibility problems with an FM2 MSI motherboard and an A6 as well, so I'm going to try picking up some different sticks of ram...
I've seen spinning fans with no beep code recently and it was a power supply issue. With the PSU there was 0V on the +5V line. Do you have a power supply tester? They are cheap -- $15 -- and worth every penny. Usually RAM will give you a beep code -- well at least if the RAM is missing anyway.

Don't have a power supply tester but will look into getting one. I did test with a power supply I know is good though as it has been powering another system in my house with no problems. I'm wondering if the speaker that came with the case is defective. There isn't a speaker on the motherboard, just pins to hook it up to.
Over the years I encountered some of these issues myself......you might want to verify it carefully-

-verify 4/8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket "CPU has no chance of posting without this connector plugged in fully and correctly"
-verify standoffs under the motherboard.... if a standoff installed in the wrong place, it can cause a short and prevent the system from booting...
-make sure that you remove the plastic guard over the CPU socket
-make sure that you install the CPU correctly....there is an arrow on the CPU that needs to line up with an arrow on the motherboard CPU socket
-make sure that there is no bent pins on the motherboard/CPU
-make sure not to get any thermal paste on the motherboard, CPU socket, or CPU pins
-make sure that you discharged all static electricity before touching any of your components
-check to make sure that there is not loose screws laying on the motherboard, or jammed against it
-make sure that the CPU fan is plugged in properly.....some motherboards will not boot without detecting that the CPU fan is plugged in...the mobo maker want to prevent burning up the CPU

-without a system speaker, you are flying blind. If your mobo didn't come with one, you can buy it from here- Case/Motherboard Speaker
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Have you tried resetting the CMOS (jumper) - unplugged first. I've had cold boot issues with the MSI as well. Try 1 stick of RAM in the 2 different slots as well.
I've tried unplugging the batter for 10 minutes with the power supply unplugged. There isn't a jumper for the clear CMOS. I tried just shorting this with everything unplugged as well, but there is no way to tell if it did anything.

I'm kind of thinking that it is either the memory, as there have been other people with problems with this or a similar combination, or a bad motherboard. No beep codes is very confusing. It is possible my speaker is broken, I suppose... maybe I'll try the speaker on a different mobo to see if it works.
Well, the speaker works. Had on older build sitting around, pulled the memory out, plugged in the speaker and powered up, got beeps on that motherboard. So, either I'm putting the speaker in the wrong place on the new motherboard (I've double checked...), or it just isn't beeping with or without RAM in the system.

I've double checked everything on your list bluray. Thanks, no dice for me yet.
(2012-12-08, 17:17)CueTheMusic Wrote: Well, the speaker works. Had on older build sitting around, pulled the memory out, plugged in the speaker and powered up, got beeps on that motherboard. So, either I'm putting the speaker in the wrong place on the new motherboard (I've double checked...), or it just isn't beeping with or without RAM in the system.

I've double checked everything on your list bluray. Thanks, no dice for me yet.
If you can get system speaker to work, it is much easier to troubleshoot. You can verify the beep with your owner manual.....

One more thing, have you try to press the reset button while the computer still on?

I hadn't tried the reset, but I just did. Somethings wrong with either motherboard, ram, or cpu. I'm kind of guessing motherboard due to it not having any beep codes, I'll start replacing those as I can...
(2012-12-08, 22:59)CueTheMusic Wrote: I hadn't tried the reset, but I just did. Somethings wrong with either motherboard, ram, or cpu. I'm kind of guessing motherboard due to it not having any beep codes, I'll start replacing those as I can...
Without beeping, it is usually a sign of bad PSU but you tried it with another working PSU. It did not beep either. In this case, it is more likely a bad MSI motherboard......good luck!

Thanks, that is my guess too. We'll see when they get exchanged. Thanks for your help.
It was the memory. I ordered different memory and a different motherboard, thinking I'd return what was the problem when I knew. Got the memory today (motherboard comes tomorrow), threw it in, turn it on, all of a sudden the mobo speaker beeps (wtf, now it works) and I get display with a message saying hardware has changed.

Windows 8 is installed and I'm currently setting everything up.

So either the memory was bad, or there is just a compatibility problem with that combination of motherboard and memory
(2012-12-12, 05:45)CueTheMusic Wrote: It was the memory. I ordered different memory and a different motherboard, thinking I'd return what was the problem when I knew. Got the memory today (motherboard comes tomorrow), threw it in, turn it on, all of a sudden the mobo speaker beeps (wtf, now it works) and I get display with a message saying hardware has changed.

Windows 8 is installed and I'm currently setting everything up.

So either the memory was bad, or there is just a compatibility problem with that combination of motherboard and memory
Okay, good luck.....!

It's weird that it didn't beep showing bad memory code....it must be FM2.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with A6-5400 build0