Drivers and Ubuntu minimal install?
From what i have been reading i would like to try the Ubuntu minimal instal but this a brand new htpc that was just built has not even been turned on yet. So my question is with thie install of the minimal Ubuntu I will need an internet connection right? Out of the box there are no drivers installed on the mobo, so i won't have a lan connection for the instal so will have to install Windows first then install all drivers and then install Ubuntu minimal?
You'd be installing one OS over another if you do Win -> Ubuntu so there is a gap in logic there.

Ubuntu minimal comes with common network card drivers. It may or may not work depending on hardware - its a very small ISO. In that case if the current NIC doesn't work try to temporarily install / borrow through in another NIC that'll work...I had to do this in a couple cases and then took out temp NIC once installed.

Also, since it's a brand-new unit best practice is to boot it into a Ubuntu LiveCD first to make sure all the bits are working...LiveCD has more driver support. Summary is make sure all HW working as expected before diving into long-term OS.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Thanx. Will be doing it in a couple days will try.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Drivers and Ubuntu minimal install?0