Mac Mini or Apple tv
Doing this just to gauge the majority opinion is on the matter.

I am currently using a 2011 Mac Mini in the living room with MAC OSX 10.7, I believe. For a machine this powerful, using it just for TV, I feel is a waste. I am running Frodo beta 3 on it for live TV, (using a windows 7 machine hosting back end for NEXTPVR, all the movies, etc).

Mostly I am happy with it. But the part I am struggling with the most is Netflix. Wife and kid gotta have it and they are none too pleased about using Chrome or Safari for Netflix, since the XBMC netflix plugin is a dead end for me at this point.

So I am contemplating getting an ATV2, JAILBREAK it and use it in the living room. I am thinking it should do all that the mini is doing at the moment (I think I can get it to work as the NPVR front end as well), plus, wife and kid will be happy with the built in Netflix app it comes with...

Will it be a worthy trade off? I have heard some stuff about ATV not handling high def content smoothly so I am a bit unsure.

I would like to hear your thoughts..

Thanks.

Slow menus, navigation, etc... Way different compared to a mini
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
What? XBMC can't be put onto a roku box.
(2012-12-12, 09:02)natethomas Wrote: What? XBMC can't be put onto a roku box.

Yeah, you trick yourself into thinking the Roku interface is XBMC. You should see Aeon Nox, it looks stunning on the Roku!
well to tell you the truth I love my atv2 boxes in the house. They are great little devices. I only have 720 content and it works fine with xbmc. I also use netflix on it and it works flawlessly. For the price of the atv2 that I got it for (99) I couldnt be happier. I say buy one and see how your family likes it. I think they will be happy with it.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
I would just put windows 8 on it and get a mce remote. The new windows 8 netflix app looks just like a settop box app and they are suppose to be bringing remote support in the future. You can launch xbmc and netflix from the startmenu with a remote. More configuring but clean and cheaper than buying a 250 dollar used box.
I have 2 ATV 2's running over powerline adapters with all my files stored on a NAS. They stream all my 720p content fine, but my Raspberry Pi turns up tomorrow so i'm going to be playing with that next .

Only downside of the ATV's is that the GUI is a little sluggish. The hybrid skin linked in my sig works well, butanything heavier does struggle. Will be interesting to see what the Pi is like with XBMC on it.
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
There is a lot you can do with a Harmony remote and I'm sure with it set up well a PC and a Roku box would meet his needs. He would still need to buy and maintain another box though.

I agree with calev. Get a MCE remote, install Windows 8, XBMC and the Netflix app. Launch the Netflix app for from inside XBMC with Advanced Launcher. When you quit Netflix, XBMC will appear again. You will also be able to play full Blu-rays with HD audio if you wanted. Something that OSX and the AppleTV2 cannot do.

A 2011 Mac Mini might feel like a waste as a HTPC because it is over qualified for the job. When you use a Apple TV you will probably realize that over qualified is better than under qualified.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini or Apple tv0