iPhone Remote app, Find host slight issue, or I am just missing something...
I've been using XBMC for a a couple weeks now, it's great, even got Hulu working outside of the US on two of three laptops so far, not sure what is up with the third. (Great add-on, thanks BlueCop.)

Anyway, I've been using the iPhone remote app, and it works great, I especially like how I can browse the media on my phone and select directly from there, without needing to look at a screen, awesome!

My only issue, and it may just be missing something is, that when I search to "add host" I can't find any new hosts, without shutting down the other XBMC instances that are running on other laptops. It's not a huge issue, just something that I think is a bit odd. There doesn't seem to be a way to search for a different host, it will just keep finding the same host.

Is there a way to find a new host, without completely shutting down other XBMC instances that are running?

Thanks
Smile
No ideas? No feed back?

Is this just the way it is, or is there some step I'm missing?
As a follow up to this, after some playing around and downloading a couple other remote apps. When I first made this thread I didn't realize there was more than one remote app.

I was using the "official" XBMC iPhone remote app. I still am, but plan to test the other remote apps to see which one I like best.

Anyway, I'm sure there are others that are also new to this software and how to interface everything.

What I have discovered is that, to use the "Find host" button in the official remote app, there needs to be a WiFi card or adapter installed in the host. This wasn't an issue initially, since I was using a couple laptops for testing, and a WiFi enabled desktop PC.

I had since sorted out a 1080p file playback (streaming) issue to the hardware, more specifically the laptop I was using, so I threw together a desktop style system with some hardware I had kicking around, to verify the hardware being an issue. It was, so this was progress, and can see first hand what limitations the hardware can have, being at or (possibly slightly under) minimum spec, or possibly just old and worn out.

I had in the mean time, added some network cabling to plug my main PC, also acting as a media server, so that I could plug the dual Gigabit LAN connections into the router directly, thinking this may have helped with the streaming issue I was having, it didn't. Anyway, I mention this, because I decided to swap the WiFi card over to my newly built "HTPC" I had just thrown together, so that I could have wireless control through my iPhone again. Well, I'm having issues getting the WiFi card to play nice with the hardware in the HTPC, re-installing in the main PC, it functions perfectly.

So after some searching around, and some playing with other remote apps, I set the "Allow programs on other systems to control XBMC" to on in addition to "Allow control of XBMC via HTTP", and manually enter the IP and MAC addresses into the remote app, an idea that hadn't occurred to me previously, and voila, I had re-gained iPhone control ability so I no longer needed to use the keyboard and mouse that I was using, back to normal. Smile

I'm glad to have discovered this before buying dedicated HTPC parts, this means I don't need WiFi cards for the builds (I need to build two of them), reducing the initial cost, or spend that money on better hardware to start with. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
iPhone Remote app, Find host slight issue, or I am just missing something...0