Bug XBMC File manager becomes unusable
Bug 
BUG: File explorer blocked when unplug usb drive.

Here the process:
- When I make copy files from usb drive to internal drive I use the xbmc file explorer.
- Then I return to Xbmc Home;
- And I unplug my Usb Drive;
- And I return to xbmc file explorer;
- There the file explorer stay in the usb drive folder and I can't change it;
- I need to restart Xbmc !

I have Xbmc Eden and Frodo.
If you are just unplugging your USB drive, then it's not getting unmounted properly. Before unplugging, within the file explorer, bring up the context menu for your USB drive and select "Remove Safely" first before unplugging it. See if that resolves the issue.
Ok, I know that I must remove safely before unplug, but I don't do it.
USB drive is not cached, so I unplug it when I finished.

But it stills that is a bug.

Xbmc must fix it because others can be in the same case.
@ vdehtpc

You were asked to unmount the usb properly to see if this problem happens as well when the usb is unmounted properly, NOT that you have to do it normally.

See also

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...bug_report

Your "report" will probably get ignored if it doent contain that information.

For e.g your missing information about your OS have no debug log show no screenshots or offer anything other than a basic information.

also see this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655

FYI you want to test and report BUGS for Frodo only as Eden problems WILL no longer be fixed.

uNi

I was able to reproduce this BUG where filemanager becomes unusable/unresponsive to commands while navigated into the usb directory and unplugging that device after navigating to other areas of xbmc.

XBMC 12.0-RC1 Git:20121217-6c5dccf, Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS

Steps to reproduce.

1 Plug in a usb key or hdd
2 In XBMC filemanager navigate to the USB directory
3 Press escape (so your back on main menu) without navigating out of the usb directory in filemanager.
4 Uplug USB or Remove safely (both will result in same thing)
5 Naviagate back to filemanager

When navigating back in step 5 you will be back to the usb directory on Left pane and because device is unmounted/removed you can no longer use filemanager.
To return File manager to operability the usb has to be reconnected or XBMC rebooted.

see screenshot

Debug log
http://pastebin.com/FMFkMYqt

@ vdehtpc

That more or less what is required for a bug report SO do it as well.
Can you change the topic to XBMC File manager becomes unusable, instead of File explorer blocked.
TIA

uNi
To recover from this condition in File manager without having to restart XBMC, do the following: Return to the XBMC homepage and re-insert your USB drive. Wait for the notification that a removable drive has been mounted. Re-open File manager. You should now see your USB drive contents again and File manager should be fully functional. Go back up to the parent directory and either select "Safely remove" to unmount the USB drive or simply unplug it (not recommended, but do as you wish).

So, in the future, when you are done copying files from the USB drive, go back up to the parent directory (where the USB drive and other sources are listed) before removing the drive. This will avoid the described condition.

However, if you feel this is a bug, please feel free to file a bug report.
I would open a bug report but the ones I have up only 2 got any replies all others not a single line of feedback.

As far as I see, on my test above I could recover as you said. However there should be nothing to recover from, in first place, if Device is unmounted it should be unmounted properly and path removed from filemanager.

no?

uNi
Well, if the drive had been unmounted within File manager itself, there would be no issue. Even just yanking out the drive won't cause that condition in File manager if you first exit from the list of files on that drive and return to the parent level. I'm just offering suggestions for ways to avoid and recover from this condition. I'm not trying to rationalize or justify the way it works since I'm just an end-user and not an XBMC developer.

As for whether or not to file a bug report, my guess is that the chances of this getting noticed by a developer is better with a bug report than without. Smile
Ive opened a debug log, tbh Imm not waiting for any results as I saidmost the bug reports seem to be on cryogenic sleep.

No one has interest so far.

Anyway TRAC bug report http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13767

@vdehtpc

* un1versal kicks you in the backside for leaving me alone with your half backed bug report, Thanks @ vdehtpc

uNi

A lack of comments on the trac reports is not necessarily a reflection of the work being done for those bugs.
Its fixed now Big Grin not thanks to vdehtpc who bailed.

arnova kicked butt and fixed it and is even going further, since Filemanager was a bit neglected.

Done and done.

thx arnova. Big Grin Fantastic job.
(2012-12-18, 03:12)uNiversal Wrote: Ive opened a debug log, tbh Imm not waiting for any results as I saidmost the bug reports seem to be on cryogenic sleep.

No one has interest so far.

Anyway TRAC bug report http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13767

@vdehtpc

* uNiversal kicks you in the backside for leaving me alone with your half backed bug report, Thanks @ vdehtpc

uNi

I tried to put this bug into the track report but I never seen the register account to log me in. So I can not to report bug directly.
(2012-12-28, 19:53)uNiversal Wrote: Its fixed now Big Grin not thanks to vdehtpc who bailed.

arnova kicked butt and fixed it and is even going further, since Filemanager was a bit neglected.

Done and done.

thx arnova. Big Grin Fantastic job.

And I can not register account to put report ! Where is the register account ?
Probably because you already have one. As it says on Trac:

Quote:Please login with your forum username and password.
NOTE: Both username AND password is case-sensitive.
(2012-12-28, 21:49)Ned Scott Wrote: Probably because you already have one. As it says on Trac:

Quote:Please login with your forum username and password.
NOTE: Both username AND password is case-sensitive.

Thanks.
I don't know that my login/pass of forum was OK to login for make report.

The next time, I'll make the ticket.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC File manager becomes unusable0