I have discovered a small issue when using the official android remote

Xbmc version Frodo RC1
Remote version 0.9.0 revision 900

Symptoms
Error message popup "unable to start json server" when starting xbmc

Steps taken
Start xbmc and enable remote server
Connect to xbmc with android remote - everything works perfectly
Hit power button on official remote ( to see what it does Big Grin )
Xbmc quits back to front row - excellent
Start xbmc again
JSON error message appears

What I have found is that you have to shut down the android remote before starting xbmc. Then everything works fine when starting xbmc

Debug log shows nothing of great interest except the single line
ERROR: JSONRPC Server: Failed to bind server socket

It appears that between them the remote and server are not playing quite right together. Guess that maybe xbmc isn't closing the port quite right or something in the remote is tying it up despite the closure. However I figured it might get better exposure in this forum

I know the Android remote needs to be updated for Frodo, but this is the first time I've heard that it could actually make XBMC crash. Can you post the debug log to pastebin.com anyways? I'd would be interesting to see if it's actually crashing or if it sent a quit command.
Hi Ned
Just to be absolutely clear

XBMC doesn't crash as such. There's no smokey return to Frontrow. However the JSON interface is disabled - presumably only an issue to those using a remote of some description
If you head into settings->services and toggle allow remote control then the JSON server fires right up again and the remote works

As severity goes I'd class this as low :-
I'm using a central MySQL server which is still working fine so I'm somewhat sure damage is limited to the JSON interface rather than taking down networking or anything serious

Pastbin action HERE
grep ERROR reveals a couple of AE ones (which seem to be standard) and the JSONRPC one

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with android remote0