Mode Not Supported
While troubleshooting a choppy video issue, I noticed an odd problem and I'm wondering if anyone can help me understand the nature of the problem, and possibly provide suggestions for a fix. Here's the Issue:

When I enable the Sync Playback to Display and/or Adjust Display Refresh Rate to Match Video settings in XBMC, and try to play any file, I get a "Mode Not Supported" message from my Samsung LED Smart TV. I have tried all the AV sync method settings without success. I am now running Frodo under Windows 8. Previously, I was running Eden under Windows 7 and having the exact same problems. Can anyone buy me a clue? Thanks and happy holidays!
Also have a samsung led smart tv and have same issue only with 720p tv shows,all movies in 720p are fine and everything 1080p and dvd play without any issues,using eden 11 and windows 7 professional.
Htpc A6-3500,Gygabyte GA-A75M-D2H,Samsung 830 64gb ssd,GSkills ripjaws 2x4gb,Apevia xmaster case with 500w psu,
Asus black internal bluray drive,logitech k400 wireless keyboard.
That's interesting. All the files I have been have been having problems with so far have been 720p TV shows -- in fact, the files have all been been PAL 25 fps 720p TV shows. It never occurred to me that movie files would not have the issue, or that the issue was limited to 720p files and that 1080p files would play without problems. I will test this on my setup. Thanks for your input.
No problem if your solve it let me know as i give up a while ago and just use vlc to play the 720p tv shows.
Just realised my tv shows are all english tv shows that will not play,Moone Boy ,An idiot abroad and Red dwarf
as i am based in the united states i wonder if thats the prob.
Htpc A6-3500,Gygabyte GA-A75M-D2H,Samsung 830 64gb ssd,GSkills ripjaws 2x4gb,Apevia xmaster case with 500w psu,
Asus black internal bluray drive,logitech k400 wireless keyboard.
With those options set, XBMC will change the video resolution/mode to match the video file. It's trying to set the refresh rate to match the fps of the video. So for a PAL source (25fps), xbmc will try to set 50Hz. If something in the chain (AVR, TV, video card, etc) can't do it, you'll get that error.

My receiver does 50Hz, but my TV can't. So I get a black screen with audio (I have just the adjust refresh rate option set). I had to set an override in my advancedsettings.xml to force 25fps stuff to 60Hz.

A debug log would show you were things are going wrong, and would help others help you as well. Post it to pastbin or some such.

Good luck.
So I just tried a bunch of movies and they all work fine with sync playback and adjust display refresh rate both enabled. So do US TV shows. English TV shows do NOT play with those settings enabled, no matter whether 720p, 1080p, or SD. So the issue is PAL files, which are 25 fps. I found this bit of information online:

"So far I know that Vizio TVs WILL display PAL, Samsungs do not- those bring up an onscreen message saying "Mode not supported" if you give them a PAL signal. Anyone know about the other brands?"

For some reason, the PAL files will play on XBMC without those settings enabled, but motion is very jerky. When those settings are enabled, whatever XBMC is doing to the signal is something Samsung doesn't like -- and we get Mode Not Supported. The workaround that I discovered was to put the Samsung into Game Mode, and turn off the sync playback and adjust display refresh rate options in XBMC. Game Mode results in smooth video, without any noticeable degradation of video quality (at least to my eye). Thanks VERY much for your help figuring this out.
Jogee, I am new to this, so I need to learn how to do a debug log. I will follow your link and do my best. Thanks for your guidance.
(2012-12-23, 17:55)Jogee Wrote: My receiver does 50Hz, but my TV can't. So I get a black screen with audio (I have just the adjust refresh rate option set). I had to set an override in my advancedsettings.xml to force 25fps stuff to 60Hz.

How do you do this?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml 3.45 <video><adjust refresh rates>
I have the same problem ("mode not supported") with my Samsung LN46A550 and media that came from a PAL source. As far as I can tell, it is an incompatibility with 25FPS and I was able to solve it by modifying the mkv video file.

1. Demux using tsMuxeR or MKV Demux All (extract audio and video tracks)

2. Run eac3to on the ac3 file (adjust audio for new framerate)

eac3to.exe C:\input\the.track_2.ac3 C:\output\the.track_2.ac3 -384 -25.000 -changeTo23.976

NOTE: if the audio is an AAC track, use FAAD/FAAD2 to convert to wav, then run eac3to.

faad.exe c:\input\the.track_2.ac3

3. use mkvmerge GUI to rejoin audio and video (create working mkv file with 23.976 FPS)

set 'track format specific options' on the video track
FPS: 24000/1001

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mode Not Supported0