Better to mount NFS shares using OS or XBMC? (re: best practices)
My file server is running Solaris (napp-it gui, ZFS filesystem) and shares files using SMB v1 and NFS v4.

My XBMC system runs Ubuntu 12.04, and I've created NFS mount points using Linux (i.e. /etc/fstab) but they often don't mount before XBMC starts which causes a problem, etc.

Is it best to just let XBMC connect directly to my NFS shares?

What is the best/recommended practice for this?
I've used autofs successfully on Linux for years. Give that a go.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-12-31, 17:38)SofaKng Wrote: My file server is running Solaris (napp-it gui, ZFS filesystem) and shares files using SMB v1 and NFS v4.

My XBMC system runs Ubuntu 12.04, and I've created NFS mount points using Linux (i.e. /etc/fstab) but they often don't mount before XBMC starts which causes a problem, etc.

Is it best to just let XBMC connect directly to my NFS shares?

What is the best/recommended practice for this?

I've been using fstab to mount SMB and NFS shares with no issues. fstab should be processed before XMBC starts. It could be a problem with your network connection not starting before fstab is processed. You would need to check logs. Anyway, what kind of problems are you seeing?
only benefit to using internal nfs is if you use one database across multiple xbmc installs that dont all run linux, as the paths wont be correct. but other then that i find mounting through OS to be more reliable, i had a issue with the internal nfs (libnfs) where xbmc would crash if i hit info during a video when it looked for a clearart.png or something that wasint there (nor should it be in a folder-structured media library, it would be in root of the tv show, but anyways...) and switching to OS nfs fixed the problem, which i think eventually got worked out but anyway. my 2 cents

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Better to mount NFS shares using OS or XBMC? (re: best practices)0