• 26(current)
Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding
hi guys, i reached contact with engineer from amlogic. he is issuing a test for the h264 video with [email protected] specific. hope for news of rom update soon.
(2013-03-22, 12:36)themaskfly Wrote: hi guys, i reached contact with engineer from amlogic. he is issuing a test for the h264 video with [email protected] specific. hope for news of rom update soon.

what does that mean in plain english?
Anyone have an issue with xbmc forgetting the path for your video sources after you turn off the box? I've got 2 external hd's connected with the files on there.
(2013-03-23, 13:35)dmartins13 Wrote: Anyone have an issue with xbmc forgetting the path for your video sources after you turn off the box? I've got 2 external hd's connected with the files on there.

Yes, I had to partition my 3tb usb to 2 separate partitions.

Every time I reboot it changes, so I have to set the source again. I think you can set a name so it auto mounts that drive. Also a problem if you have a msd card in.
(2013-03-23, 14:18)bubblegum57 Wrote:
(2013-03-23, 13:35)dmartins13 Wrote: Anyone have an issue with xbmc forgetting the path for your video sources after you turn off the box? I've got 2 external hd's connected with the files on there.

Yes, I had to partition my 3tb usb to 2 separate partitions.

Every time I reboot it changes, so I have to set the source again. I think you can set a name so it auto mounts that drive. Also a problem if you have a msd card in.

I have 2x 1tb attached to the box and both are forgotten when switched off. any chance this will be solved with the latest update? I was holding off updating as all was working well until this started happening.
im not sure but maybe cifs manager would help with this isuue where xbmc forgets external sources?
Bit of a noob question but is the new update supposed to be in Chinese? I updated and had to change everything to english (android/xbmc) also is there anyway of editing the home screen? Got pointless apps on there now.

In regards to the xbmc forgetting video sources, I have found that if you unplug one of the usb drives I had connected prior to turning off and then only plug back in once you have turned xbmc on that it remembers everything. A pain but a work around.
I have tested my MyGica atv1200 with 720p60 and 1080p60 resolutions (android setups).

The TV recognize the signal 720p and 1080p but when I play a movie with the included mediacenter or XBMC, the MyGica produces a 720p image up scaled to 1080p, but with the 720p real resolution! In each case the actual resolution is the same (720p).

I have an old Popcorn hour a-100 with a superb image when a 1080p movie is played, but with MyGica everything looks blurred to 720p.
I suspect since even xbmc is not able to select the definition to 1080p (only up to 720p)...

Is it an android or the mali-400 GPU limit? has anyone experienced this result?
Some solution?
Hello to the thread...
You'll notice I haven't posted much but that's not because I don't have much to say (as you'll see). I've been working with the ATV for over 6 months now, testing, tweaking, and fine tuning. The key is reading. Then when when you think you've read everything twice, read it again. Anyway, I thought it would be a good time to start giving back. All that have talked mad s&@t about the ATV1200 need to stop for a moment and realize that this unit does donuts all day around the other Geniatech unit (starts with a P) which has been given way more credit than it deserves. I've tested many units on the market, and while this one has had it's challenges, it smokes anything in it's price range when you have it setup properly. The hardware is solid. It almost always boils down to software which I've found true in this case.
My thing has always been to make this a user friendly device. People want to access media now. Isn't that the goal? I've got a girl and kids so I represent the masses that require ease of use and stability. Having said that, I want to thank all of the members of the XBMC / Android community for putting all of the pieces of the puzzle out there. I've spent way to many hours behind this unit and its the information I gained from intelligent posters that kept me from smashing my hardware against the wall. Lol.
Quick note. I'm not a programmer and I definitely don't claim to know it all. I'm just you ordinary average gadget guy who insists on finding the answer to just about every question or problem I come across. It's almost a disorder. OK. In response to the ATV1200 losing XBMC settings, this is what I've found....
Seems to be a skin issue. I tried just about every light weight skin. I used to be really bored with confluence until I realized how light, stable, and just straight up well it performs on this unit. The new confluence 7 is a perfectly awesome upgrade. Thanks dude. Latest build of Pivos for android or a half a dozen similar xbmc builds out there with confluence perform very well with latest Geniatech android firmware. For the most part, no special hidebar apks or serious tweaks needed. I never lose settings as long as I exit XBMC properly (exit button). If I force close or pull the plug, I'll lose most recent setting changes.
I've loaded this unit with tons of apps and wiped it clean many times in hopes of getting that perfect tweak or set of apps just right. Due to the units onboard memory limitations, I've discovered less it better. Use your PC for PC stuff. Use the ATV primarily for XBMC and XBMC life on the ATV will be similar to a Linux build experience with the perks of android. In other words, I've got several android apps but I make sure they're high priority. Angry birds is not. Facebook is not. Lesson one..trim the fat. Download a startup killer and kill the BS memory leaches that XBMC doesn't require. Kill playstore, etc. I don't autostart xbmc on boot. Caused problems. If you want XBMC all of the time, leave the unit on. For the most part, the unit is designed to be left on.
I haven't explored deep into the local network or audio issues that I've read about so please don't bust my balls about that. My goal was to configure the unit to stream media from servers around the world up to 1080 without issues. That I've accomplished. My ATV2 is a dinosaur in comparison and people love that thing. Buttery smooth and bug free is where I'm at with my 1200 and I like it a lot.
I'm not reinventing the wheel, just sharing it's properties....I'm also not going into detail because it's been done in this thread and others already. Search it like I did. Get a stable build of XBMC that utilizes Amlogic hardware acceleration. External player solutions are lame. Use the set prop trick to hide bar every time XBMC starts. This is too easy. Search it. You don't need hide bar apks. Use the aspect ratio fix and write a script that will execute on boot. Sounds difficult, but it really isn't. Again, search it. Change the default XMBC skin background image in settings to something more pleasing to the eyes than blue with bubbles. That is unless you really like that. Install only the addons you really want and that work. Store thumbnail/meta data on an external SD card or other external source. I also use an advanced settings xml which I finally settled on and stopped tweaking for now. Contained are settings for buffer size, remote delay, dirty regions, etc. I'll make a separate post for those setting if requested.
I know this isn't detailed enough for many, but I can't post a hold me by the hand walk through right now. Bottom line is that my ATV1200 is operating nearly flawless and is wife/child friendly. I don't have much time to read and reply at this time but I'll try to address responses and questions when I can. Again, my focus has been on streaming non local. I'm shifting my research towards researching issues with local networking and audio, then I'm going to compile a build of XBMC incorporating all of the tweaks for easy install.

I would love to hear that this has already been done and greatly appreciate a link to the build I'm after if anyone would like to share. Please tell me I've been living in a cave and shoot me a link!!! Maybe then, I can take a break from all of the research and testing. Thanks again to the real brains behind XBMC (it's devs). The wave of the future is here. Hope this post helped someone get closer to a sick ass XBMC setup on this unit.

FYI: The little remote does kinda suck range wise. I think it's the cheesy watch battery. XBMCs official remote or Yatses apk work great for smartphone remotes. Many hardware remotes can be adapted but that's another thread. I use the remote it comes with it and a small wireless mouse for times when its just necessary. Although useful at times, I almost never use a keyboard and I think that's the way it should be when in front of the TV.

Take care,
HTPCFORALL
htpcforall,

thanks for taking the time to post.

im really interested in a couple parts of your post.

1 - Store thumbnail/meta data on an external SD card or other external source. - can you tell me how to do this? or if you dont have time just a quick reply to point me in the right direction Smile

2 - versions - also, can you tell me what android build are you using, and what xbmc apk are you using?

3 - andvanced settings - can you post your file so i can use 'cut and paste' to copy yours and make my own file?

thanks
(2013-03-26, 18:33)thebearnecessit Wrote: htpcforall,

thanks for taking the time to post.

im really interested in a couple parts of your post.

1 - Store thumbnail/meta data on an external SD card or other external source. - can you tell me how to do this? or if you dont have time just a quick reply to point me in the right direction :)

2 - versions - also, can you tell me what android build are you using, and what xbmc apk are you using?

3 - andvanced settings - can you post your file so i can use 'cut and paste' to copy yours and make my own file?

thanks

+1 would be interested too
Hey guys... Storing thumbnail and meta data externally can be done a couple of different ways. The first and easiest is by going into the addons settings and simply changing the default storage path for that addon. This will save a lot of internal memory. The second and much more effective way across the board is to do a path substitution. This path substitution code is put into your advancedsettings.xml . For you who don't know, this is a file that overrides the settings in XBMC and must be created by you. It is placed in the usersdata folder. Learning how to create an advanced settings file is probably the number one way to harness the beast. She (XBMC) must follow your advancedsettings.xml commands.

I'll post the advancedsettings.xml I'm using within the next 24. I'm not using pathsub in my advanced settings right now but am going to incorporate it and test it before I post it. Pathsub is a powerful way to redirect the normal storage directory for almost any XBMC data. Coming soon. I promise.

I absolutely can not tell you which build I'm using!!! Lol. JK. Right now, I'm using a build extracted from MyGicas A6 latest firmware release. To do this I downloaded and installed the firmware....changed the language to English...then backed up the apk. After that, I flashed the unit back to latest Geniatech android build and installed the high jacked xbmc build. Copied and pasted my advanced settings. Implemented setprop and aspect ratio fixes/tweaks. Customized the XBMC interface through the standard UI settings. Done....mass creamy smooth buttery sd 720 1080 media flow. YES! Please note...I don't know that this build is all that much different from so many others out there. It works for me for now. I have a feeling it needs help in the audio and local network stream dept. but I know I can implement the fixes for that if required. The build I'm currently using is XBMC 12.0 Git:20130221-7aeee6d (compiled: Feb 23 2013). Again, if you think you have a better build, please share it. I know there's one out there. How about a 12.1 build for aml hardware acc?

On that note, look for my advanced settings post. I'll post it withing 24 after I double check the pathsub is working properly.

BTW: I noticed this thread is slowing up a little. Where's Davilla? We need someone to stoke the fire a little. That reminds me...thanks to Davilla for the subtle hints that helped me a lot. I like how Davillas avatar portrays a cool cat, but the cat is never really let out of the bag. Typical dev. Never show all of your cards. I mean that in the most respectful way.

HTPCFORALL
As has already been said, there are a few ways to save user data to sd card.

I originally found this on the pivos forums, this is just one link.

http://www.pivosforums.com/viewtopic.php...a.internal

J1nx, is creating images which have the move user data to sd card, built in

http://www.j1nx.nl/support/forums/?mingl...ic&t=54.15

Although this is not for the atv1200. it might help others with the idea.

Personally, by moving the userdata to sd, the performance of my mygica 510b, is what I was after.
htpcforall,

just wanted to clarify your paragraph (pasted below). im not a computer dunce but im quite new to android:

"I'm using a build extracted from MyGicas A6 latest firmware release. To do this I downloaded and installed the firmware....changed the language to English...then backed up the apk. After that, I flashed the unit back to latest Geniatech android build and installed the high jacked xbmc build."

here's my queries:

step 1 - the latest mygica A6 build of android - is it he bottom one on this webpage?: http://up.stdvr.com/mygica/android/A6/firmware/ called "update_Mygica_A6_20130322.img"
step 2 - changed language to english and backed up apk - so you back up the xbmc apk that is included in their firmware linked in step 1?
step 3 flash the unit back to geniatech android build - is it this one from mid january here?: http://www.geniatech.com/news/mx-atv1200...uction.asp
step 4 installed the nigh jacked xbmc build - this is the xbmc apk that you got from the mygica firmware in step 1 and backed up in step 2?

many thanks!
@ thebearnecessit-

Exactly correct. I couldn't have said it better myself.

htpcforall
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding17