[Guide] Upgrade XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) installation into Frodo
I have identical hardware use a 8GB mirrored linux partition on the HDD (3.8GB Free). Been running XBMCbuntu Eden (From USB and HDD) since it came out (Live before that) with no issues. Remote, MySQL, NAS connection with over 1000 movies and just under a thousand tv episodes plus 25,000 mp3's all artwork etc.

Not sure why you would want to start from Dharma!

Install Eden as a base wait for stable FRODO.

Cheers
Spart
6 x Raspberry Pi Model B & B+ Pi2 & 3 Zotac Mag Ubuntu 14.04.1 - Ubuntu 14.04.1 Test Machine Kodi Nightly - RocketNAS 8TB Usable Raid 6 Ubuntu 14.04.1 RocketNAS Build
(2013-01-14, 17:12)sparticle Wrote: I have identical hardware use a 8GB mirrored linux partition on the HDD (3.8GB Free). Been running XBMCbuntu Eden (From USB and HDD) since it came out (Live before that) with no issues. Remote, MySQL, NAS connection with over 1000 movies and just under a thousand tv episodes plus 25,000 mp3's all artwork etc.

Not sure why you would want to start from Dharma!

Install Eden as a base wait for stable FRODO.

Cheers
Spart

The reason for me was I did try to install Eden Live-CD on my box, only to find it having a lot of problems (made my first guide on that). Dharma, when it came, ran just fine without any hazzles. I then upgraded Dharma into Eden, and it worked just beautiful. Same thing about the Frodo Live-CD. Didn't work. Once again, upgrading Dharma to Frodo did the trick for me. Worked just beautiful, once again.

The Guide is intended for those who are using a similar box as mine and like to enjoy Frodo, but didin't make it 100% working. The Guide is intended as an easy working alternative to the other postings around here.
Take it or leave it. If it works for you, enjoy it. If not, try something else. Freedom is great!
Milleman -

Thanks for the guide!

I have two HTPCs, a Shuttle XS35GTv1 and an XS35GTv2. The v2 has stutter issues with anything newer than Dharma 10.1. For that reason I've held off on upgrading to Eden to avoid incompatibilites with the MySQL database since there were some changes from Dharma to Eden. I'd have to either upgrade both or neither.

I'm planning to install Frodo on both machines following this guide but I have a few questions first.

1) What version of Frodo will this install? As of 1/14/13 will it install the current stable version which is Frodo RC3?

2) Following the update instructions (presumably after Frodo final launches), what version will that install? Again, last stable version or nightlies?

3) I'll admit I didn't search first... Do I have to do anything special to convert my MySQL database from Dharma to Frodo? Will the install process for Frodo automatically convert it over?

I'm hoping this allows me to run Frodo stutter-free. The alternative is installing over a Windows 7 build Sad

Thanks again for sharing this approach!
(2013-01-15, 02:01)scdo Wrote: Milleman -

Thanks for the guide!

I have two HTPCs, a Shuttle XS35GTv1 and an XS35GTv2. The v2 has stutter issues with anything newer than Dharma 10.1. For that reason I've held off on upgrading to Eden to avoid incompatibilites with the MySQL database since there were some changes from Dharma to Eden. I'd have to either upgrade both or neither.

I'm planning to install Frodo on both machines following this guide but I have a few questions first.

1) What version of Frodo will this install? As of 1/14/13 will it install the current stable version which is Frodo RC3?

2) Following the update instructions (presumably after Frodo final launches), what version will that install? Again, last stable version or nightlies?

3) I'll admit I didn't search first... Do I have to do anything special to convert my MySQL database from Dharma to Frodo? Will the install process for Frodo automatically convert it over?

I'm hoping this allows me to run Frodo stutter-free. The alternative is installing over a Windows 7 build Sad

Thanks again for sharing this approach!

Hi,

1 & 2) The method I used will always pull the latest commits, which at this date is RC3. You can use git-commands to pull any version of the code you like, ie RC2, Beta, Eden, Dharma etc. Its all there. You can list all versions after you've downloaded the code (step 21) by this command:

Code:
# cd xbmc
# git tag -l

If you like to update later on and get the latest code, follow the second section in the guide.
This link will tell you more about how to use Git:
Git User’s Manual

3) I haven't tried converting the MySQL. My approach in the Guide were to make a fresh install and simply wipe out all traces of the earlier version. I'll guess there ought to be information on converting the XBMC database somewhere in the forum here.

Cheers
Hello All,
I have an Acer Revo 1600 with Dharma on it so this guide is exactly what I wanted. Today the final release of Frodo came out, which is what I have been waiting for to upgrade. WIll those upgrade instructions work with my hardware as well as retain all of my existing settings and libraries or are there other steps I need to do Before and/or after?

Thanks
Compile and install the newly released Frodo Stable

Frodo Stable have been released. Following the Guide as it was posted, will now bring you the Alpha Code for the upcoming XBMC v13 instead of v12 (Frodo). So... If you like to stay on Frodo Stable, you have to make some small changes in the Guide. If you're a daredevil and like to try Alpha Code, then just follow the Guide without the changes below.

1. Fresh Install
In the First Section (fresh install) of the Guide, change Step 22 into the following:

Code:
# cd xbmc
# git reset --hard 12.0-Frodo
# git clean -xfd
# make -C lib/libnfs && make -C lib/libnfs install
# make -C lib/taglib && make -C lib/taglib install
# ./bootstrap ; ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd
# make -C $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/addons/script.module.pil
# make -j4

2. Update previously made Frodo installation
In the Second Section (upgrade) of the Guide, change Step 4 into the following:

Code:
# cd ~/setup/xbmc
# make distclean
# git reset --hard 12.0-Frodo
# git clean -xfd
# make -C lib/libnfs && make -C lib/libnfs install
# ./bootstrap ; ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-vdpau --disable-pulse --disable-crystalhd
# make -C $HOME/setup/xbmc/lib/addons/script.module.pil
# make -j4

Enjoy!
Milleman -

First off, you're the man for putting this all together! I'm crossing my fingers that with will work on my stutter plaugued XS35GT.

I actually followed the original steps last night before seeing your latest post -- is there any way for me to "downgrade" to Frodo Final without starting over from step 1?

UPDATE - I got 12.0 installed correctly. The jitter is gone on my machine.

However, I tested airplay and had some major issues with streaming video. It would crash, restart, or simply just fail to play. Could this at all be related to installing Frodo on top of Dharma?

Thanks,
Scott
(2013-01-31, 00:08)scdo Wrote: Milleman -

First off, you're the man for putting this all together! I'm crossing my fingers that with will work on my stutter plaugued XS35GT.

I actually followed the original steps last night before seeing your latest post -- is there any way for me to "downgrade" to Frodo Final without starting over from step 1?

UPDATE - I got 12.0 installed correctly. The jitter is gone on my machine.

However, I tested airplay and had some major issues with streaming video. It would crash, restart, or simply just fail to play. Could this at all be related to installing Frodo on top of Dharma?

Thanks,
Scott

Sure!
Just follow the instructions in the Second Section of the Guide (Proceedure for upgrading / install bugfixes for Frodo later on, with the above previous steps already done once).
Make sure to change Step 4 in the Guide to the be exactly as in #2 on my posting above.

About Airplay--- Sorry, I haven't tested that yet. Don't use it myself...

Cheers
Has anyone else tried this method and tested Airplay? Audio seems to work great but I'm having a bit of trouble with video.
thanks a ton for this guide. I upgraded from Dharma to Eden a long time ago, but now used this to upgrade again to Frodo due to issues with XBMCbuntu install on my architecture.

The one thing I am missing is the Media Information Screen for movies. Not sure if it is a specific problem with this install method, or a problem on my machine. But when I press "I" on a movie, nothing happens, so I can't review actors / plot info, or refresh the thumbnails, etc. It works fine for TV Shows, just not movies. Any ideas?
The Guide is now updated for Frodo 12.1

Follow: [Guide] Upgrade XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) installation into Frodo 12.1)
I tried following similar steps to updated a to 12.2 (previously Dharma to 12.0). I'm stuck with no audio... any thoughts?
The guide worked as described. This was the only way to get my old Dell GX280 to upgrade from Dharma>Frodo (also did Dharma>Eden awhile back). Thanks Milleman!

EDIT: I'm having audio driver issues also. It worked fine under Eden
http://pastebin.com/uJ74Y5YB

This fixed my audio issue
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1449672

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Guide] Upgrade XBMC Live 10.1 (Dharma) installation into Frodo2