HTPC Upgrade
Hi everyone,

I've been going through all the forums for a few hours now getting an idea of what to use for a new htpc. At the moment I have a Asrock 330 but want to replace it for something with a bit more grunt. Basically what I'm after is something with bitstreaming support and support for 3d bluray rips using makemkv. I'm using frodo rc2 at the moment which I think supports 3d mkv files?...

I started by looking at the updated version of what i already have, the Asrock Vision HT Series, it seems to do everything I need but its expensive so I'm looking for either an alternative for that or I'll build one myself.

I haven't looked much at AMD because I've seen people complaining about linux compatibility (I'll use xbmc live or openelec).

On the intel front it seems most of the latest mini-itx MB's seem OK as long as they have a hdmi 1.4 port and if that is with any i3 cpu (support for InTru 3d) or higher it seems ok.
However I've noticed people complaining about dropped frames with the i3, is that still a current issue?
Would an ivy bridge i3 cpu be necessary or would a sandy bridge do the job?
Is there anything else I need to look for?

I want to try and future proof this as much as I can so if you have any other suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Upgrade0