XBMC - LiveTV – CableCards and Encryption
(2013-01-18, 19:36)ylafont Wrote: I have done some research on this in the past few days to see if I understand what is going on. Here is some info.

• BOTTOM LINE - Windows Media Center – IS THE ONLY- application that can unscramble encrypted cable channels with a Ceton cable card.

• Every Cable provider has different policies on which channels are flagged as Copy Freely, Copy Never, or Copy Once. These channels are referred to as CLEARQAM or QAM Channels (not encrypted or encrypted.).

o Copy freely - Content is not copy protected. (ClearQAM CHANNLES)
o Copy Once - A recording can be made, but that is it. (QAM CHANNEL)
o Copy Never - the content can be recorded and viewed for 90 minutes after transmission, and is not transferable. (QAM CHANNEL)

You may want to check with your cable provider and check which channels are designated as CLEARQAM or QAM Channels. Time Warner in New York Encrypts all channels with local channels being the exception. One quick method of finding local channels is the SiliconDust web site. http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ Just enter your zip and select provider.

This list is may be changing since the FCC has given permission for local channels to be encrypted.

Some of the reasons behind this is that CableLabs (The governing body), licenses fees are not inexpensive (I heard 100K and higher) and their certification process is strict. Microsoft has been the only software manufacture that has paid the fee and passed the certification process. This leaves many small companies and public domain applications such as MythTv and XBMC with little chance of competing. Probably now and forever, although I still have hope.

Also, lets not forget the monopoly existing by cables companies on the fees currently in place for cables set-top boxes, which is currently between $10 to $30 a month. They will not want to lose that income and will protect the investment (screwing us in the process).

If you want to see liveTV on your media center, you will be restricted to Local, Other The Air (OTA), or Channels that are designated as ClearQAM by your provider, unless you use Windows Media Center.

Hope this helps.

Neither mythtv nor xbmc are in the public domain. They are copyrighted and licensed under the GPL.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Messages In This Thread
Re: RE: XBMC - LiveTV – CableCards and Encryption - by nickr - 2013-01-18, 22:35
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - LiveTV – CableCards and Encryption0