Win Frodo RC2 / RC3 Sound Difficulties
hey folks,

i'm having xbmc now for about a week and i appreciate it very much <3
in ancient times i had it already installed on my xbox 1 and its still fresh *thumbs*

but now i'm facing a sound difficulty (RC2 and RC3 also) and hoping someone can please help me out with it, cuz its driving me nuts.

my problem - it doesnt matter what im configuring on xbmc:
- if i play my transformers bluray rip on Windows Media Player it comes clear, hard and loud out of my front speakers (2.0 config)
- if i play the same file via XBMC... sound is much more soften / flat. i had to increase receivers gain level to reach the same effect.

my system:
windows 7, 64 bit
msi geforce 560 ti
connected via HDMI 1.4 to my av-receiver which then again is connected to my TV (second, enlarged monitor)

sound-settings xmbc:
- hdmi, 2.0,2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1
- changed direct sound to WASAPI (?!)
-> same prob as described before

i didnt found any set up convincing. is there a little trick or menu i ignored?!?!?!?!?!
or is there just and integrated "pitch" via WMP codec?

i just dont get it. please help me Sad

#2 request: can i please also get a feedback on my english skills? level 1-10, 10 if is best Huh?

thanks a lot in advance!
Weclome to the forums Itch. Your English is better than most native-English people on the net Smile

What type of audio format is in the rip? Do you have that format enabled for passthrough (selected in the audio settings)?
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Thumbs Up 
hey,
cool. thank you. great to read this Big Grin

passthrough is enabled. i selected HDMI for
audio output device and also for passthrough output device.

your idea about its audio format is worth a mint!
i've played around with the "XY sound format capable receiver" settings and disabled AC3 -> voila... here we go

i wonder if my receiver is not capable or xbmc messes around with the sound remix?! didn't checked the features of my marantz now..
but i dont mind. ITS WORKING. great! Rofl

your idea was a step in the right direction. *thumbsup*
addition:

i messed it up.. i had to disable DTS support in XBMC to get a much better result !!
my receiver is capable to handle DTS sounds.. xbmc says for different movies DTS, dobly digital, etc. but when i enable DTS support in XBMC settings sounds are flattend, much quieter and many frequencies are missing.
maybe xbmc tries to put those sounds on sourround which i dont have (even with 2.0 system enabled in xbmc) ?!?!

now i'm speechless Sad
Have a look here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Win...udioEngine

English rating from 1-10 (1 being low) You get a 4

Mostly because you use lowercase letters everywhere. So even in your native Language I dount seriously you write all in lowercase letters.

FYI Im definitely not native English speaker, not even twice removed.

uNi
It could be that there's difference depending on whether the encoded format (ac3, DTS etc) is being passed through and LPCM where the audio has been decoded by XBMC.

As name suggests, passthrough or bitstreaming sends the audio to the receiver as is, XBMC does nothing to interfer with it.

Decoded audio can be interfered with by the PC, so it maybe that LPCM is being boosted in some way.

When playing video via WMP what is reported by the AVR? Is is Multi Channel LPCM or a format such as AC3/DTS?

If you disable those "capable receiver" the XBMC decodes the format to LPCM, it then either outputs as Multi channel LPCM or transcodes to another format such as AC3.
thanks for your ideas..

what i did so far:

- followed uNiversals link.
intel management: OK
audio Driver: OK (now, first it was MS, now creative)
exclusive mode: OK
direct or wasapi does not make a difference

- DTS / AC3 disabled: a little better sound, slightly more bass, etc. but i still have to increase the volume by ~+15 dB to get equal results as if played with WinMP

- when playing via WMP:
at the receiver only stereo mode can be selected
- when playing via XBMC:
at the receiver i can select: stereo, direct, pure direct, dts sourround / dolby digital (depends on source) virtual

but when stereo is selected, its still the same problem played via xbmc...

for both modes:
selected auto-mode on the receiver: still same problem.

@jjd-uk:
if WMP is boosted, winamp and windows sounds are boosted, too. loudness while playing music (mp3, flac, stream) is nearly identical compared to playing movies via WMP

when a movie is playing i could open a config dialogue from the audio-symbol (right bottom corner).
there is some kind of "pre-amp", but it is disabled in passthrough mode, but i did not find anything comparable in xbmc settings?!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Frodo RC2 / RC3 Sound Difficulties0