Bug XBMCBuntu Frodo RC3 strange DNS server (using OpenDNS??)
After my uber-fail from my previous topic I finally got XBMC live 12.0 Frodo RC3 up and running.

However I'm now running into some stranger problems.
I have a Win 2008R2 server in my network which is a domain controller and DNS server.
My router is configured to send out DHCP leases with the DNS servers IP address (192.168.2.180) as the primary and only DNS server.
This is working on several windows (7 and 8) as well as Linux (ubuntu) desktop machines, and on 4 different android devices.

However, the machine I now have up and running with the live CD of Frodo RC3 seems to have other DNS servers hard coded:
contents of /etc/resolv.conf:
Code:
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

some searching learned me that these are the OpenDNS servers.
So, whats the story here? I suppose this could be an Ubuntu bug? Or not even a bug at all?

Fact is this results in VERY strange behaviour:
These DNS servers seem to respond to any query you throw at them, always with IP address 67.215.65.132.
even if you do 'ping asalskasksfj' or any other random string they will respond with this IP address.

This resulted in me not being able to ping any device in my network, yes, even when using the FQDN.
My NAS for example is 'diskstation01.my.domain.com' (real domain name removed for security reasons), if I ping to that domain I am again communicating with 67.215.65.132.

I did some additional testing, and If I go to the desktop and try browsing to 'diskstation01.my.domain.com' I am presented by a search engine (website-unavailable.com) showing me search results for 'diskstation 01 my domain'.
If I didn't knew better I would think the system had been infected by a DNS-affecting virus...

I can very hardly believe this is supposed to be this way, so I'm reporting it :-)

I had the same issue with the release version of Frodo. Seems like a really strange setting to ship with.
known "feature", it will be worked out in next release
Will "the next release" be a monthly update, or version 13?
Mine has the same contents of /etc/resolv.conf but name resolution works fine.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
XBMCBuntu is still giving me the OpenDNS DNS servers. I use OpenDNS for my kids and block a lot of stuff. With these DNS servers set by default it is blocking most of my addons. How do i change the DNS servers in XBMC to pull from my ISP or even just change them to googles 8.8.8.8Huh

Please let me know!!!
DNS Servers are an OS function not an xbmc function.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@nickuww

The answer is in first post intead of the opendns just input googles dns and you should be done. Like nickr says its a OS thing XBMCbuntu is a Ubuntu variant that provides xbmc is all. If your not having joy try looking at https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=ch...0&bih=1018

uNi
This had me puzzled for an hour or so, but the fix is frustratingly easy-

sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
sudo ln -s /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

This allows resolvconf to manage the resolv.conf file (which uses the dns servers provided by dhcp), rather than hardcoding to use OpenDNS' servers. If you're going to hardcode DNS servers, at least use Google's...
(2013-06-30, 11:01)Malfeasant Wrote: This allows resolvconf to manage the resolv.conf file (which uses the dns servers provided by dhcp), rather than hardcoding to use OpenDNS' servers. If you're going to hardcode DNS servers, at least use Google's...

Google's DNS servers are no better than OpenDNS's..........

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu Frodo RC3 strange DNS server (using OpenDNS??)0