Linux Some remote commands not working on Frodo RC3
After almost 2 days work I finally got Frodo RC3 up and running under 12.04 Precise minimal install.
Now almost everything is working except my remote.
I'm using a Logitech Harmony One and an Antec Veris Basic IR received in the HTPC.
Most buttons are working but not all, let's the take the powertoggle command as an example:

When looking at the debug log I can see XBMC is picking up the command:
Code:
23:07:34 T:3037567296   DEBUG: Keyboard: scancode: 7c, sym: 0140, unicode: 0000, modifier: 0
23:07:34 T:3037567296   DEBUG: OnKey: power (f0de) pressed, action is

But it clearly seems to think it has no action assigned to it ('action is' should be followed by the required action).
My /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml is still pretty much default (see here), containing:
Code:
<power>XBMC.ShutDown()</power>

So why is it not picking up this command??

I don't think it matters, but this is the output of 'ir-keytable -t' when pressing the powertoggle button on my remote:
Code:
1358720560.854498: event MSC: scancode = 289115b7
1358720560.854506: event key down: KEY_POWER (0x0074)
1358720560.854508: event sync
1358720561.106086: event key up: KEY_POWER (0x0074)
1358720561.106088: event sync

See information requested in the 'how-to post' sticky:
FULL Debug Log
Linux Distribution and Version: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise
Architecture: i686
Install Method: PPA
GIT Revision: 12.0-RC3 Git:0ab56a7
In lircmap.xml is power maped to KEY_POWER

In addition, you are using the root user files /usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps/remote.xml
What is in /home/username/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps?
Most MCE remotes are keyboards, useless to edit remote.xml. Add your custom config to keyboard.xml.
(2013-01-21, 11:08)FernetMenta Wrote: Most MCE remotes are keyboards, useless to edit remote.xml. Add your custom config to keyboard.xml.

LOL.....useless?..........OK

Good luck
FishOil, in case you know better you can advise the OP instead of posting silly comments.

As you can see from the log the events are coming from the keyboard. This is because MCE remotes register as keyboards. You have following options:

1)
In case the kernel knows all keycodes, which is not always the case, configure keyboard.xml.

2)
Make X11 ignore the receiver and configure lirc correctly. Not done by OP
Code:
22:47:27 T:3037567296   DEBUG: Failed to connect to LIRC. Retry in 40s.

AFAIK eventlirc does that automatically, this is the OpenElec way.

Using lirc without having disabled the keyboard events from the remote is not a good idea.

The advantage of lirc/eventlirc is that you benefit from a configurable repeat rate which is currently hard coded for keyboards.
(2013-01-21, 21:44)FernetMenta Wrote: FishOil, in case you know better you can advise the OP instead of posting silly comments.

As you can see from the log the events are coming from the keyboard. This is because MCE remotes register as keyboards. You have following options:

1)
In case the kernel knows all keycodes, which is not always the case, configure keyboard.xml.

2)
Make X11 ignore the receiver and configure lirc correctly. Not done by OP
Code:
22:47:27 T:3037567296   DEBUG: Failed to connect to LIRC. Retry in 40s.

AFAIK eventlirc does that automatically, this is the OpenElec way.

Using lirc without having disabled the keyboard events from the remote is not a good idea.

The advantage of lirc/eventlirc is that you benefit from a configurable repeat rate which is currently hard coded for keyboards.

Well, I guess you have your way and I have mine.
I have never once edited keyboard.xml to make a remote work.
I have 7 different remotes. All different model, make, mfg.
All work on the same single install of xbmc.
I can grab any random remote in the house and have it working in about 15 min.
I make any button do anything I want and its VERY easy.

3 files need modification

1. lirc.conf
2. lircmap.xml
3. remote.xml

The OP is using the minimal ubuntu install (pointless IMO) with a harmony remote.
He will have his work cut out for him as he would likely have to configure everything manually from scratch.

Just to prove the point and make sure I wasn't crazy (well, maybe I am)
I went and dug out of the closet the remote for the first popcorn hour (A100 I think). This remote did not work with XBMC prior to me configuring it tonight.
Put some batteries in it, configured it, fired up XBMC.....works like a champ. Any button any function.
Sorry guys I forgot to report back.
I indeed ended up configuring the keyboard.xml like in the example below:
Code:
<KEY_PAUSE>Pause</KEY_PAUSE>

This is working for me at the moment.

I should point out I'm using the Ubuntu minimal install as I have problems with XBMC live not working due to Ubuntu 12.10 using x.org 1.13 which was incompatible with fgldx-legacy (ATI) drivers which were needed for my Radeon HD3200 built in graphics. So Installed ubuntu minimal 12.04 which still uses x.org 1.12 which then again works fine with the legacy drivers.
See this topic for more details:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152670

So yes I have to configure a lot of things manually :-)
I fixed it now by configuring the keyboard.xml as described above, but if I understand FishOil correctly, I should be using lirc instead of having ir-keytable send keyboard keystrokes.
But.. How to configure this?
I tried with lirc but couldn't get anything to work with my Antec Veris basic IR receiver.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some remote commands not working on Frodo RC30