fileshare over WAN
Hello Everyone!

Thanks for a great Forum for first!

I wanted to raise a question about file-sharing over WAN. I try to find related post from forums but didn't still figure out the best way to share my (non hd) files thrue 3g to my tablet (sgt-p7500). Also i have Nexus so i would be great to get my music and not FullHD movies to my tablet when i'm traveling aroud.

I was thinking samba (not too secure) and NFS (not so secure either) but not sure is it good idea to open ports from my Firewall for there protocols. I have a ubuntu server in my home what will take care of file sharing into LAN via SMB and NFS.

I can get my whole library into my tab from my HTPC (Now laptop but will change into RasPi on this week) but when i go out from my LAN cannot doit anymore. So i try to find a way to get back to fileshres.

VPN is bit too slow i think so. I have 24/2mbits VDSL at this momenet but gonna upgrade it to 100/10 after they get optic fibres into our appartment.

Any ideas how to manage to get this thing working?

- Jouni
VPN'ing into your home network and browsing your files like you would at home is the best bet, the VPN itself won't hurt your bandwidth.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
My family uses XBMC on multiple TVs every day but for tablet access over WAN I suggest taking a look at Plex. If your server has the power to do on-the-fly transcoding it really is a nice option for streaming on remote devices.
(2013-01-22, 15:41)Rick P. Wrote: My family uses XBMC on multiple TVs every day but for tablet access over WAN I suggest taking a look at Plex. If your server has the power to do on-the-fly transcoding it really is a nice option for streaming on remote devices.

OK. may i ask how did you do your setup at home? I woudn't like to go into Plex because of this RaspberryPi and it's support for Plex not so good. So i was thinking also OpenElec, but dont really have any experiences from Elec.

This on-the-fly transcoding is interesting but not really sure can my Raspi really manage to do it or should i setup a small dedicated server to do that. it could also work as an gateway and then i pick up from store some NAS to take care of filesharing.
I think that NFS would be best idea for that.

Any ideas?

And thanks for the replys!

Smile

(2013-01-23, 16:13)akaza Wrote:
(2013-01-22, 15:41)Rick P. Wrote: My family uses XBMC on multiple TVs every day but for tablet access over WAN I suggest taking a look at Plex. If your server has the power to do on-the-fly transcoding it really is a nice option for streaming on remote devices.

OK. may i ask how did you do your setup at home? I woudn't like to go into Plex because of this RaspberryPi and it's support for Plex not so good. So i was thinking also OpenElec, but dont really have any experiences from Elec.

This on-the-fly transcoding is interesting but not really sure can my Raspi really manage to do it or should i setup a small dedicated server to do that. it could also work as an gateway and then i pick up from store some NAS to take care of filesharing.

Any ideas?

Smile

I use both but whether this will work for you depends on what other hardware you have. Since you didn't mention storage I just assumed you already had something else set up to connect your pi to.

XBMC runs on my HTPCs, playing media stored on my server via NFS shares. I also run the Plex media server software on the server but you could just as easily run it on a PC using your OS of choice. The Plex server does the on the fly transcoding and can stream to your lan, the wan or both. For information and details on Plex as well as equipment requirements check out their forum. Your pi can run openelec / XBMC and won't need stuff transcoded but a lot of my media won't play on either of my tablets, and although transcoding is necessary for me if I'm not using XBMC I'm not about to transcode the better part of 16 TB when I won't watch most of it on a tablet anyway. This is where Plex's on the fly transcoding shines and wan streaming quality is only limited by your connection speed.

NFS is a much better choice than samba in my opinion.
(2013-01-24, 04:11)Rick P. Wrote:
(2013-01-23, 16:13)akaza Wrote:

Any ideas?

Smile

I use both but whether this will work for you depends on what other hardware you have. Since you didn't mention storage I just assumed you already had something else set up to connect your pi to.

XBMC runs on my HTPCs, playing media stored on my server via NFS shares. I also run the Plex media server software on the server but you could just as easily run it on a PC using your OS of choice. The Plex server does the on the fly transcoding and can stream to your lan, the wan or both. For information and details on Plex as well as equipment requirements check out their forum. Your pi can run openelec / XBMC and won't need stuff transcoded but a lot of my media won't play on either of my tablets, and although transcoding is necessary for me if I'm not using XBMC I'm not about to transcode the better part of 16 TB when I won't watch most of it on a tablet anyway. This is where Plex's on the fly transcoding shines and wan streaming quality is only limited by your connection speed.

NFS is a much better choice than samba in my opinion.

Okay.

So, about my setup:

I have now as HTPC
HP 8510w (with docking station, but this one i'm gonna replace with RaspberryPi) and it's connected to media inside my server with CAT/Wifi (SMB,NFS)

Server-end i have now installed ubuntu-desktop ( HP XW4600 ) and my storage is attached into this server. ( After month or so i'll update this to NAS -storage. )

I also have 1 laptop (HP2540p) and two tablet's (Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 and EkenT02 ).
Inside galaxytab i'm also running XBMC-client and was hoping that i could get my media streamed over WAN into tab when travelling.

I have one extra hardware back at home and i was thinking would it be good idea to install Plex-Server inside this machine and keep my ubuntu still running as fileserver untill i'll get my NAS-HW?

Then plex would also be accessible via ssh,sftp and mayby NX-remote if GUI-setup is needed.

When all setup would be done i then should have:
NAS ( for files )
HP7900SFF as Plex server
RaspberryPi as XBMC client
Galaxy Tab 10.1 with XBMC-client to stream my media in when out from LAN
Onkyo PR-SC866 A/V Processor as mountpoint for audio and video (thru HDMI)

What you think about this?

Cheers!

- akaza

Should work fine although the 7900's CPU probably won't have enough grunt to transcode video for more than device at a time. The quad core in your 4600 might do better. Out of respect for the moderators and developers here you should take Plex-specific questions to their forum - they're helpful folks there too. If you haven't already done so check out the various XBMC remote control apps for your tablets.

BTW I have an HP2540p laptop too but never thought to put XBMC on it. Have you tried it? I'm curious if the integrated graphics are up to the task of playing HD video.
I havent try yet with my 2540p, but i could do it today. It has i7 so i think no problems with processor. I'm running at this moment memory check to HP USDT 7900 ( Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 / 2.8 GHz ) and if everything is ok, i will try to run it as an media server. It would be nice to get it working because it's quite small, silent and power is only 135W. This is the main reason why i wouldn't like to use xw4600 for that. Takes too much energy to keep alive everyday.

yeah and no disrespect to mods and admins here. just wanted to raise a question Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fileshare over WAN0