First HTPC build
Hello everybody,

I am currently jumping into the world of HTPC and trying to build my first config.

I asking for your advices to make sure all the parts I am thinking of buying will be compatibles and will match my needs.

I am looking at a system to stream media from Netflix, Hulu, play blu-rays and HD-audio (group #6).

So far this is what I have:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($82.28 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $615.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 22:49 EST-0500)

Thanks in advance for your help

EDIT: I have updated the parts.
Those components look good so far
(2013-01-22, 07:40)Joerobert06 Wrote: Those components look good so far
Thank you.

I've worked on the config, here's the update:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Silverstone ML03B HTPC Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHES212-08 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($82.28 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $615.79
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-22 22:49 EST-0500)
Looks like it will definitely get the job done.

One question to consider- do you think you might want to add another HTPC to a different room? If so you want to consider a lighter weight HTPC unit as your player and a central, always-on server or nas to store your media. Your expansion costs will be lower, performance better, and size/noise/heat factor lower in your viewing areas.

That said you really start wherever you like and expand as go like most of us have!
(2013-01-23, 06:13)cpmiller22 Wrote: Looks like it will definitely get the job done.

One question to consider- do you think you might want to add another HTPC to a different room? If so you want to consider a lighter weight HTPC unit as your player and a central, always-on server or nas to store your media. Your expansion costs will be lower, performance better, and size/noise/heat factor lower in your viewing areas.

That said you really start wherever you like and expand as go like most of us have!

Thank you.
For know I am not thinking of adding any extra player. But as you said, when the time comes, it will still be possible to change and get something a little bit different.

I am still working on finalizing the setup. The SSD drive is out of stock right now.
The ML03B is a microATX case. You can save yourself a good chunk of money by going with a microATX motherboard instead of the mini-ITX motherboard.

E.g.: ASRock H77M $69.99 + Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157303

vs. the $94.99 + $5.99 shipping of the H77M-ITX from MicroCenter.

Your 450W power supply is also way overkill. Your system will run more efficiently with a lower rated power supply, such as a 300W power supply like this Seasonic SS-300ET: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151086
I went with this power supply in that case to give more room behind the optical drive bay:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817104131
Yes, if you can spring for one of the FSP GHS power supplies, that's ideal. There is a 300W one at Amazon and it too comes with the SFX-to-ATX mounting plate: http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certified-300-...B004VF4R4U

Just beware in the normal orientation with the fan facing down, some of the cables might be too short and you'll need to buy some extenders.
I bought the 400W from Newegg Canada, and all the cables were long enough. Maybe the 300W is different?
(2013-01-23, 19:17)Walrus Wrote: I bought the 400W from Newegg Canada, and all the cables were long enough. Maybe the 300W is different?

It might be. I think it too depends on where the 24-pin power harness plugs in, whether at the front of the board or over on the opposite side. I've seen complaints when it's on the opposite side it cannot reach unless you flip the PSU over and have the fan on the top which is not ideal in the ML03B or get a 24-pin extender.

Have an FSP SFX in the ML03 is worth it IMHO even if it means getting an extender.
I'm not sure that I have anything to add, but I did just get done building an HTPC in this exact case.

I started out determined to use an Intel chip, but bluray suggested I check out the AMD A6 5400K, which is what I ultimately went with. So far, it has breezed through everything I have thrown at it, and it is $60 cheaper than the chip you are currently using. Not sure if you have already bought the hardware, but wanted to throw that out there.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-EarthWatts-E...earthwatts

The above link is to the power supply that I have in mine. It is tight between the optical drive and the PSU, but it fit with a little room to spare. Not sure how much longer the blu-ray drive you have will be, but just wanted to reiterate that it is definitely something to consider.
(2013-01-23, 22:59)adletson Wrote: I'm not sure that I have anything to add, but I did just get done building an HTPC in this exact case.

I started out determined to use an Intel chip, but bluray suggested I check out the AMD A6 5400K, which is what I ultimately went with. So far, it has breezed through everything I have thrown at it, and it is $60 cheaper than the chip you are currently using. Not sure if you have already bought the hardware, but wanted to throw that out there.

Did you go with something like this with your AMD choice?

MB: ASRock A75M-HVS FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Also, (and to the OP), what are you considering in terms of UI devices (i.e., keyboard/mouse/etc.).

Thanks!
(2013-01-23, 16:13)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The ML03B is a microATX case. You can save yourself a good chunk of money by going with a microATX motherboard instead of the mini-ITX motherboard.

E.g.: ASRock H77M $69.99 + Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157303

vs. the $94.99 + $5.99 shipping of the H77M-ITX from MicroCenter.

Your 450W power supply is also way overkill. Your system will run more efficiently with a lower rated power supply, such as a 300W power supply like this Seasonic SS-300ET: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817151086

Yeah, I realized that for the motherboard and already changed.
About the power supply, I was going for this one a little bit cheaper: Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W
Dougie Fresh pointed that going for the FSP 80 PLUS Certified 300-Watt Micro ATX/SFX worth it in the ML03B case, so I might spend a little bit more on the supply.

(2013-01-23, 22:59)adletson Wrote: I'm not sure that I have anything to add, but I did just get done building an HTPC in this exact case.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-EarthWatts-E...earthwatts

The above link is to the power supply that I have in mine. It is tight between the optical drive and the PSU, but it fit with a little room to spare. Not sure how much longer the blu-ray drive you have will be, but just wanted to reiterate that it is definitely something to consider.

That's a good point about the space inside the case. This is why I am looking at that FSP power supply.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC build0