XBMCBuntu Frodo - How to verify what keyboard key is being pressed?
Is there a way for me to monitor or 'key log' what keys of a keyboard are being pressed into xbmc as I type or click on the keyboard?

I have a whole slew of key mappings with a FLIRC and a harmony, and one of the buttons changed, but I can't figure out which to be able to fix it....

The easiest way is going to be for me to verify what key is being pressed, but I don't know how to do it....
look in the log file (although xbmc may need to be in debug mode)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
As nickr said above, the key presses are logged. Enable debug log (wiki)ging in XBMC, press the desired button several times, exit XBMC and look in your debug log (wiki) (xbmc.log) to see how XBMC identified those repeated key presses.
Perfect will do,

so last question with keyboard.xml I can change what that keyboard key does correct? Or would I accomplish that some other way?
If you want to see what is going on "live" you can also ssh in from another computer, and run

Code:
tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

The log file will scroll past in real time as you press keys.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Issue fixed, THanks guys!
(2013-01-31, 05:32)nickr Wrote: If you want to see what is going on "live" you can also ssh in from another computer, and run

Code:
tail -f .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

The log file will scroll past in real time as you press keys.

Good tip. I'll have to keep that in mind as a suggestion for the more advanced Linux users... lot easier than having to slog through the log afterwards.

Extra for experts: tail -F (note the capitalisation of -F as opposed to the lower case in the previous example) will survive a new log file being started.

when xbmc is stopped .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log is closed. When xbmc is started again xbmc.log is moved to xbmc.old.log and a new xbmc.log is opened for the new session.

tail -f will not survive this process. tail -F will monitor the new file, giving the ability to start and stop xbmc without having to restart tail.

Also useful for monitoring traditional linux log files in /var/log, which are regularly rotated by the logrotate process.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBuntu Frodo - How to verify what keyboard key is being pressed?0