DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Frodo build available
(2015-03-23, 23:03)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-03-23, 21:18)Warner306 Wrote: I'd agree for the most part, but I find so many posts from people who use Lanczos scaling just so they can use NNEDI3 Chroma Quadrupling, which really does nothing to the image compared to plain old Jinc3+AR chroma upscaling.

Also, some swear that image doubling makes everything look better, but it clearly doesn't. Going from 720p to 1080p, you are wasting processing power by overscaling the image.

Debanding does not adequately explain that most exact copies of 1080p rips are in no need of debanding, with the exception of a scant few titles. More compressed content, on the other hand, is filled with banding artifacts.

I think it takes a lot to comprehend all of this information through a set of graphical menus.

Gamma processing and display calibration are the most difficult areas to understand. If you don't choose a display calibration setting, for example, then the gamma settings in a another menu do nothing.

In addition to resizing and post-processing, madVR is capable of doing a complete display calibration for your display.

Because some people think going for maximum option would bring best quality. Which is not certainly true in many case. You have to at least knew what's going on with each option to get best quality. It usually depends on source you want to play.

For example you wouldn't want to do any image doubling if your sources are in high resolution already. You also wouldn't want to do any unnecessary scaling / colorspace conversion too. Too many steps would reduce quality instead.

Also there isn't generic settings if you want best quality. I usually go with Jinc+AR but in many case going with Lanscoz + AR visually yield better result than Jinc + AR. It mostly depend on sources.

Well, I would use image doubling if going from 1080p to 4K. NNEDI3 will offer the best result possible. I have read a comparison between image doubling and Jinc at this resolution and the user indicates that NNEDI3 is much sharper and indispensable when scaling to 4K. Otherwise, there would be no reason for madshi to include a scaling algorithm that uses so much processing power. The trick is to use a high neuron setting 64-128 to avoid artifacts. But this is difficult with most graphics cards.

madshi claims you will get the best bang for your buck with Luma Doubling and conforming other settings around this setting. However, the scaling factor must be at least 2x for the doubling to be effective. I am scaling from 720p to 1080p, so image doubling is not worthwhile.

I would agree that Lanczos can sometimes look better than Jinc at first glance because it is sharper. But after some viewing, you will realize that more detail is visible with Jinc. Trading the halo-like ringing with Lanczos for the increased depth of Jinc is worthwhile. Combine Jinc with the latest Nvidia driver and Error Diffusion 2 dithering yields a very sharp picture with little ringing.

I have read a post from a Pioneer Kuro user that a 3D LUT created with madVR test patterns produces a better result than any scaling settings. If I had a colorimeter, this is where I'd start. Trading a small of amount of processing resources for an ideal grayscale and color gamut would probably make the most impact.

Messages In This Thread
HELP!!! - by takiyon - 2014-12-28, 16:12
RE: DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Frodo build available - by Warner306 - 2015-03-23, 23:49
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DSPlayer (DirectShow Player for XBMC) Frodo build available8