Playback stutters - 5min intervals – low def vid
I have two xbmc machines running in my house and i just upgraded them both to Frodo, but i am getting a video stutter on the better of the two system?

Veriton n281g which overshadows my Revo 1600 in every direction is having problems with playback where as every 5 minutes or so you see the CPU spike and the video/sound stutter. The odd part is it doesn't matter if the video is played over the network, local, 720p, 1080p, or even low def? While on the other hand my old revo is playing everything perfect? (HDMI out to my Toshiba TV)

while watching the frame rate/cpu during playback i notice a sudden CPU spike to 100% which causes the stutter (norm during playback is about 12-15%)

Most post i have read point to the audio setup, ive been playing with every setting i can find to get the sweet spot but it does not seem to be making much difference. I also noticed that on DTS video playback (i don't have a DTS reviver) i get cracking in the audio during action scenes? not sure if that's connected.

Any thoughts? i never encountered playback issues with v11?

Thanks,
-aPeg
how many times do people have to say debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
figured it out

Problem #1:
@ nickr, i didnt bother with the logs because shortly after your post i noticed that the "stutter", "jitter"... was also occurring while i was going through the menu system and not just when a video was playing. So i took a look at the CPU usage when a stutter occurred (during video play as its easier to notice).

From there i saw "wpa_supplicant" jump to the top during every stutter...i googled around to try and stop it from running as i am running over a wired network (the Veriton just had a wifi card built in), but im very weak with ubuntu and couldn't seem to figure it out, kept coming back on reboot. so i opened the computer up and pulled out the wifi card.

i didnt have to re-install, with the card out the service never runs and my "stutter" problem is 100% gone. for those of you who need wifi, good luck... look into powerline, wifi != 1080p

Problem #2:
The "cracking", "popping" sound was unrelated and a result of "boost value level on downmix" being enabled. I'm not sure whats going on with it, all i know is turning it off fixed the problem (System>System>Audio output).

Seems like the issues i am hitting with Frodo are all to blame on ubuntu... Frodo has been very smooth, but ubuntu has replaced all the problems Frodo fixed. i wont even get started on the "and stopped udevtrigger" Error - no devices found

ohh and because these issues reside in ubuntu, openelec suffers the same problems... no easy out

Cheers,
-aPeg

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback stutters - 5min intervals – low def vid0