What are the reasons you don't submit your addon to official repo?
Personally I am fairly happy with the current situation. I think it's great that addons in the main repo have been screened by actual people (and appreciate the work that entails).
I think the normal user doesn't care or understand that the addon was written by someone other than the XBMC team, and problems with and addon will therefore reflect badly on the users experience and on XBMC as well.

I currently keep my own repo for constant feature and bug updates, and and then decide it's a good time to update the main repo and feature freeze until I have a stable version and update the main repo.
So, I suppose I could do more updates to the main repo, but it all boils down to the fact that I'm to lazy to do that Smile

I will probably never keep multiple versions for the different versions of XBMC. So I'll update for Frodo, and Eden will no longer concern me.

I appreciate the dedication the XBMC team members and developers have to maintaining their part of the project. I have to admit that I couldn't do it. One of the things I like about writing addons is that I can do it in my leisure. It's a way of contributing without having to having to worry about deadlines and such that would interfere with my other responsibilities and activities. I've spent many hundreds of hours writing addon code, but I still think the ones who commit to supporting XBMC more officially deserve the kudos for their work.

I guess what my rambling has brought me to is that the current process makes sense to me, and makes sure that the addons that make it to the main repo required some commitment by the developer to adhere to a set of standards. While I don't believe it should be difficult for it's own sake, if it was too easy, I don't think we'd have the same quality that we have now.
I think it's great to be able to have my own repo, but when I submit to the main repo, I feel I have to step my game up a bit. I know someone is actually going to look at what I did and respond if I've done something wrong, so I can't help it. Without that, I honestly probably wouldn't try as hard.

In the end I think that, often as not, an addon isn't submitted to official repo because it shouldn't be. At least that's true in my case.

Messages In This Thread
RE: What are the reasons you don't submit your addon to official repo? - by ruuk - 2013-03-15, 21:55
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What are the reasons you don't submit your addon to official repo?1