HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition
So I'm having an issue with my deployment of MySQL.

After getting a second Amazon Fire TV box, I felt that implementing MySQL for my Db was the next logical step, so that both devices can share the same libraries and watch statuses.

Before even unboxing the second device, I thought I'd get the original device configured to exactly how I wanted things to look and function. Let's call this device 'Main'.
On 'Main', I completely started over with my Kodi deployment. I uninstalled Kodi, then installed a fresh copy of Kodi 14.2, proceeded to installing my skins (eminence and Arctic:Zephyr), and configured everything to my liking, including adding the sources to my media files via SMB/Windows Network.
I then followed the MySQL wiki guide, using the option to start with fresh library scans instead of exporting and importing the current library. Once MySQL was installed according to the guide and the advancedsettings.xml file was loaded into Main's Kodi, my video and music libraries were scrapped, and all appeared good. Thinking everything was ok, I performed a Backup of Main's Kodi implementation.

Now came time to unbox, set up and configure device number two, which I'll call 'Bedroom'
Having already spent hours configuring, tinkering, then backing up Main, I took the backup of Main and 'restored' it to Bedroom. This included all configuration settings, and all files in userdata (sources.xml, passwords.xml, advancedsettings.xml, etc). Device Bedroom now seemed like an identical clone of device Main. I did notice that after restarting Bedroom for the first time, that the libraries went through the update process and seemed to be getting scrapped, which I didn't think was a big deal; I assumed that Bedroom was simply connecting to the MySQL Db.

After a couple of days of playing with my deployments, I believe I initially did something wrong, overlooked something, or missed some step(s).
After the deployment of device Bedroom (and the updating/scrapping that I mentioned above), it appears that my Movies, TV Shows, and Songs libraries doubled in count. For example, when I navigate to TV Shows, episodes are listed twice; one file instance displays the watched status, while the second file instance appears unwatched. For a TV Show that in reality has only 10 episodes, Kodi is displaying the show as containing 20 episodes.

Knowing that I could not be the only noob to have experienced this, I came to this thread and read through 18 pages of posts within this thread. Gathering information I thought would help my situation, I proceeded to take some actions. Knowing that I want device Main to be my primary device that will be used for scrapping and managing my libraries, I did not take any actions (yet) to device Main. On the secondary, client device, I did the following:
  • Navigated to my video and music sources, and deleted all sources. Now the sources.xml file on Main differs from that of Bedroom.
  • Within the Settings>Videos and Settings>Music, I turned off 'update at startup'
  • Cleaned the video and music libraries

Now device Bedroom does not seem to be in sync with device Main.

Sorry for such a long winded post. Does anyone have any recommendations on what can be done to get back in sync, and get my deployment to function as expected? If it means making any configuration/settings modifications, I'm all for it. If it calls for me to totally start over from scratch on device Bedroom, I'm open to that.

Are there any configuration files or Db files on device Bedroom that should be deleted, or modified to differ from device Main?

Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOW-TO synchronize XBMC between every room in the house: Wiki Edition - by DruTheFu - 2015-02-20, 16:51
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition2