HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition
There is no "master" and"client" Kodi installs, they should all be equal. The only "master" is the MySql server. I have anywhere from 5 to 10 xbmc installs (mixture of Windows and various flavors of Linux) at any one time and any of them can scrape and update the MySql database without creating errors or duplicates.

The key is to configure one instance where all sources are remote shares and NOT local C:\******* D:\**** paths. If the media files are on the local machine then still use the network path to them (it will work and find them) . Once you have one install working then COPY sources.xml, passwords.xml and advancedsettings.xml to the /userdata folders of all other installs, at this point everything should work.

One issue is passwords and Windows vs Linux installs when using Windows/Samba shares. When a Windows share is shared with "Everyone" it is NOT shared with "Anyone" only accounts/machines that are known to it. Linux machines need a user/pass known to Windows to access Windows shares, the easiest way to do this is to set up the initial sources.xml on a Linux machine, provide a user/pass known to Windows and check on save credentials when prompted. This will create entries in passwords.xml to store the user/pass and will work for Windows, Linux and Apple installs If the initial sources.xml is created from a Windows install you should manually create passwords.xml (wiki) before performing your initial library scan.

As the wiki doesn't seem to have much about passwords.xml it looks like this you can also look at path substitution (wiki)
Code:
<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.10/</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://User:[email protected]/</to>
    </path>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.10/Movies</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://User:[email protected]/Movies/</to>
    </path>
</passwords>

In the above example the second entry is redundant as it is covered by the first entry. I highly recommend the use of IP address over names as long as the shares have a static IP
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOW-TO synchronize XBMC between every room in the house: Wiki Edition - by Dilligaf - 2015-03-06, 21:45
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO:Share libraries using MySQL: Wiki Edition2