Problems installing xbmc on fresh installation
Hello!

Today I got new memory cards, installed the Wheezy from http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads. The started the rsapberry image. Did there an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. So far all fine as expected.

But now my problem:
Quote:apt-get install xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-bin (>= 2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1) but it is not installable
Depends: xbmc-bin (< 2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1.1~) but it is not installable
Recommends: python-qt3 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any ideas?
Virtually ANYONE on this board has much more experience with Linux than I do but to me, there are a few problems. Linux apps have dependencies which I think means other software must be installed before your app can properly install thus the term dependencies.

It appears the dependencies required for whatever it is you are trying to install is not installable per your log. WHY the dependency is not installable is unknown to me.

But this will keep your software from being installed.
(2013-02-28, 23:40)Wurgl Wrote:
Code:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc : Depends: xbmc-bin (>= 2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1) but it is not installable
        Depends: xbmc-bin (< 2:11.0~git20120510.82388d5-1.1~) but it is not installable
        Recommends: python-qt3 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any ideas?

This is trying to install v11 (Eden) of XBMC, which is just an architecture independent data package, however some of the required dependencies (which are architecture specific) are missing, eg. xbmc-bin, so you can't install XBMC.

It just looks like the Raspbian auto-builder has picked up the XBMC packages released to the stable Debian repository and made available what it can (the architecture independent stuff), while the architecture specific dependencies have failed to build (and since they won't work anyway on the Pi, there is no point fixing them so they do build).

You'll need to wait until v12 Frodo appears in the stable Debian repository and is pulled in by the Raspbian auto-builder (which may take a while and a lot of effort to get working as it's such a large project, and arguably not worth it given the number of alternative Xbian/Raspbmc/OpenELEC distributions), or find an alternative Frodo installation package that will install on Raspbian.

I just checked the Debian repository and Wheezy definitely has v11 Eden, however v12 Frodo (a build from late January, so not Release) is in the Experimental repository. Though this doesn't help you with Raspbian, it does confirm v12 is still to land in stable.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems installing xbmc on fresh installation0