[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility
(2013-03-26, 13:43)MilhouseVH Wrote:
(2013-03-26, 13:26)charrua Wrote: Specially while using c/C options, I've noticed that the script is slower at making XBMC preload the images than XBMC loading the images (not yet cached) when using the GUI. I think that's because XBMC loads multiple images at once (even when they aren't yet cached) while the script is loading them one by one.
The process is not CPU intensive, probably the speed is determined by the http requests to get the images, which I think could be greatly improved by implementing multiple threads.
I think the default is for 2 threads on XBMC (certainly on the Pi).
You could run the script on a more powerful machine, such as a desktop, or even multiple scripts on a desktop, and point the desktop at an XBMC client. However it's the image conversion that has to be done by the XBMC which is where the load/delays can occur, particularly on a Pi. Not even sure if multiple http downloads are possible (this is what triggers the caching process).
Thing is, though, I really don't want to to get involved in writing threaded code if I can help it! If I run out of ideas I'll kick it around to see what's involved... but no promises!
Thanks! (only a suggestion anyway... Smile)
I tried running multiple instances of the script simultaneously, and it worked, so it will probably work using multiple threads too, but I understand completely that using threads in a script is not always the easiest way to go.

(2013-03-26, 13:17)uNiversal Wrote: I have a question regarding cache.
Currently total duration mostly noticeable on TVshows needs to be calculated/cached in Im not sure where this info is cached (I do believe its textures#.db since this file grows as this info is cached) but its a slow process that delays displaying of SD/HD (blue/green) flags in confluence and other flagging is also delayed until total duration is calculated for all materials. To calculate this for TV shows you need to be in library view and under all seasons/episodes (lists all episodes oof all seasons view) so total duration starts being calculated and thus SD/HD and codec info flags start showing up.
Can this script somehow trigger this caching in future?
Particularly where a user doesnt have to navigate around and stay in that root dir waiting for this caching/calculation to take place. its a long monotonous job.# as soon as you leave any directory this caching stops so basically means if you want everything cached its a pita.
uNi
The total duration of media is not cached, it's calculated in real time each time you access a list.
If you want the loading of lists to be faster you can use a skin that doesn't show that info (there are a few).

Messages In This Thread
RE: [RELEASE] Texture Cache maintenance utility - by charrua - 2013-03-26, 13:55
Crash on Gotham on OS X - by desepticon - 2014-05-29, 17:57
Cleaning - by AleisterHH - 2018-05-28, 22:03
RE: Cleaning - by Milhouse - 2018-05-28, 22:16
qax genre not updated - by Just-Me_A-User - 2018-06-12, 22:06
RE: qax genre not updated - by Milhouse - 2018-06-12, 23:40
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Texture Cache Maintenance utility17