Linux What version to install?
Hello, excuse me for my bad english, i really do my best!
Before couple of weeks i install xbmc on one of my computers using this guide with Ubuntu 12.04 minimal and everithyng works perfect (p4 2.8GHz, 512 MB DDR, Ati HD2600 AGP, 120GB SATA HDD).
Now i want to install xbmc on my secound computer (asrock p4vm890, Celleron D 2.4GHz, 512MB DDR RAM, GeForce 8400gs, 80GB ATA HDD), but i have tons of issues. I tried the same guide, that i used before, but insteed of ati driver, i installed nvidia-current, but the playback is jerky with VC1 movies (BDROM and mkv), H264 (BDROM) was watchable, but not perfect. Then i tried Ubuntu 12.10 minimal and Bram77 guide, but then xbmc didn't start everytime and VC1 playback was more jerky and H264 (BDROM) was jerky. then i tried again Ubuntu 12.04 with first guide, but insteed of nvidia-current i add "ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa" whitch installed nvidia driver 304.84 and now H264 is allmost perfect, but VC1 is still jerky. I am desparate after 2 days of trying everything and i really will appritiate a way out of this situation.
If your nvidia drivers are set up properly that 8400GS card will play all of that smoothly.

Are you using xbmcbuntu? If so you need the nvidia ISO not the AMD iso.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Try the generic version of openelec.
(2013-03-07, 20:48)nickr Wrote: If your nvidia drivers are set up properly that 8400GS card will play all of that smoothly.

Are you using xbmcbuntu? If so you need the nvidia ISO not the AMD iso.

I tried xbmcbuntu, but it gives me network errors and all my movies are on 3rd computer, so without network i can't use it. I didn't change anything in the driver config. Mostly because i don't know what to change there.... Any suggestions?
Linux has pretty mature network driver support so not sure why you would be getting an error on a machinne that is not exactly cutting edge.

Log into the xbmcbuntu session and use the normal network dignostic tools. Start with
Code:
dmesg|grep eth
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What version to install?0