added MPEG2 codex to config.txt now remote no longer works
This is a continuation of my other thread asking about why the RPi with xmbc does not play ISO files. The answer was to buy the MPEG2 license and add it to the /boot/config.txt file. I have done so, but now XMBC comes up with the following question and my remote has been disabled.
Quote:"A difference between /boot/config/txt and addon settings w...
Do you want to update /boot/config.txt from addon?
Yes No"

FYI I am using the official xmbc remote for iOS on my iPad. First off yes or no? Second, why has adding the license screwed up my remote app and how do I fix that? Really makes the RPi worthless atm if I cant access it via the remote as I dont have a keyboard/mouse connected.

Thanks in advance.
Either enter you license info into Raspbmc settings app or ssh in and add it to /home/pi/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/script.raspbmc.settings/settings.xml to get rid of the popup then your remote should work normally
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
thank you for the path, but sadly im no xml coder. i can do basic bash. i have a key that looks like the following:

Code:
decode_MPG2=xxxxxxxxxx
by looking at the format of the xml file it would be something along the following, but im not 100% on the syntax:

Code:
<setting id="decode_MPG2" value="xxxxxx" />

is that correct? if so does it matter were i place it in the script as long as it is before the closing </settings> flag?

edit:::

I think I found the lines,

Code:
<setting id="sys.config.decode.mpg2" value="xxxxxx" />
    <setting id="sys.config.decode.wvc1" value="xxxxxxx" />

is that correct? I also noticed earlier, and I did e-mail the raspberry store about this that my wvc1 license was not active, but my mpg2 was. they asked for a copy of my config.txt file. sent that to them, but have not heard back.
(2013-03-11, 18:43)lleb Wrote: First off yes or no? Second, why has adding the license screwed up my remote app and how do I fix that? Really makes the RPi worthless atm if I cant access it via the remote as I dont have a keyboard/mouse connected.

Disclaimer: I don't use Raspmc. For OpenElec, the MPEG2 license is entered directly, manually into the /boot/config.txt file (which is the only place the Raspberry Pi can read it from).

However, the other thread mentions a possibility of entering it in the Raspmc settings, which (must) then write it to /boot/config.txt for you, without you, as an casual user having to know what's going on. Based on the message you're getting, I guess it first writes the license key to its own RaspMC specific addon settings file.

In this case, I guess Raspmc is comparing your /boot/config.txt (with the license key) against the specific addon settings, and finding they don't match. So it assumes that the addon settings are the more recent, and asks whether you want to copy them over the /boot/config.txt. You've got two options: pick "no" (but then it may ask you again next time. Maybe. I don't know), or pick "yes", in which case, the license key will be *removed* from your /boot/config.txt, by copying the existing settings over it (but then it will definitely stop asking, as the two files will be the same). But then you'll have to enter the license key through the Raspmc settings (and have that addon copy it into place in /boot/config.txt).

If you can't answer the yes or no dialogue (as I understand it), you've got two other choices: SSH into the Pi, with Dilligaf's suggestion, and manually put the right value into the settings, which should, in theory, stop it detecting a difference when it boots (assuming there are no formatting differences that the addon might object to). If you can't do that: take the SD card *out*, plug it into your desktop machine or laptop, and manually remove the license key. That should then let you boot XBMC, recover your remote app, and then you can put the license key in through the addon.

Your remote app has screwed up (I assume) because XBMC hits this detection and dialogue before it's got around to starting the web server. So no remote access.
It should look like the following, there should already be a line in the file with nothing between the double quotes

<setting id="sys.config.decode.mpg2" value="0x12345678" />
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
excellent. ive made the adjustments and going to try it now.

wimble ty for the detailed response. helps to understand what is happening.
no luv with either steps. i cant get access to xbmc via remote and for what ever reason it is refusing to power up my keyboard when I plug it in after a reboot. not making me a happy camper. ive edited the file that dilligaf mentioned and sadly without any kind of GUI input i can not tell xbmc to accept my controls. *rolls eyes*
Plan B Delete the line in config.txt with your mpeg code in it then reboot when xbmc comes up go to programs>Raspbmc settings and add your codec license there, reboot when prompted.
ok will try that. thanks. sorry long day.
nope, still no love.

i tried the Openelec, but with no /etc/fstab it is worthless for me as all of my media is mapped via a NFS share. without the means to map network drives I cant use it.

With a FRESH clean install I still get the same error if I place the license in my /boot/config.txt file and even with the lic# in XMBC settings specific, it still refuses to play ISO files. Now granted this is not much $, but its something I paid for and expect fully to function properly. I also have zero desire to spend more money on a 2nd SD card just to install the rasbidan OS to test my lic#.

From what I can see this is an issue with XBMC not playing nice with the raspberry Pi basic OS functionality of using the /boot/config.txt, that btw openelec didnt even have as its / directory is basically empty, and work properly as it is intended. Nor does it properly apply the MPG2 license even when supplied manually via the product info.

any other ideas?
First off if you want support for OpenElec or Raspbmc it's best to take it to their forums and not here. Second iso/dvd playback is hit or miss on the Pi regardless of distro. With a fresh install go to Raspbmc settings and enter your license info there. With Raspbmc there is no reason to ever manually edit config.txt
thank you for that info. yes i was just testing the other OS. i also thank you for the help on the Raspbmc forums. I think that is you.
(2013-03-12, 04:36)lleb Wrote: nope, still no love.

i tried the Openelec, but with no /etc/fstab it is worthless for me as all of my media is mapped via a NFS share. without the means to map network drives I cant use it.
1st you don't need to mount your nfs, you can use xbmc's in built nfs library. When in Add Videos... you can browse to your nfs share or enter the nfs string in the dialog box.

2nd you can still mount, googling nfs openelec found this http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...ork_shares
Quote:

With a FRESH clean install I still get the same error if I place the license in my /boot/config.txt file and even with the lic# in XMBC settings specific, it still refuses to play ISO files. Now granted this is not much $, but its something I paid for and expect fully to function properly. I also have zero desire to spend more money on a 2nd SD card just to install the rasbidan OS to test my lic#.

From what I can see this is an issue with XBMC not playing nice with the raspberry Pi basic OS functionality of using the /boot/config.txt, that btw openelec didnt even have as its / directory is basically empty, and work properly as it is intended. Nor does it properly apply the MPG2 license even when supplied manually via the product info.

any other ideas?
Worked fine for me, but my rpi is currently not attached to anything (gave up on running xbmc on it, and don't presently need another media PC, it is destined to be the foundation of a homemade squeezebox.).
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
added MPEG2 codex to config.txt now remote no longer works0