• 11(current)
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines
Klojum Wrote:Just curious... I'm running WinXP SP3 on a OCZ Vertex SSD drive, and when I try to use the mklink-tool as outlined in the example, it reports that only Junctions are supported, and that symbolic links are _not_ supported.

strange. did you tried it with DOS-conform directory naming? You have to shorten the directory names to 8 characters?
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
And how does this work with one windows 7 client and 2 xbox's?
What I would really love is a client/server version of xbmc.

Where library database, scraping, etc all happens on a single dedicated headless server and presentation happens on lightweight clients that connect to the central server via any number of methods (such as lightweight but rich web client, rdp/vnc/xserver style, or other lightweight client/server protocol).

Depending on the type of client and connection, the client could do the rendering directly or the server could render internally and stream it out to the various clients in whatever manner is most appropriate for that client.
TeknoJnky Wrote:What I would really love is a client/server version of xbmc.

Where library database, scraping, etc all happens on a single dedicated headless server and presentation happens on lightweight clients that connect to the central server via any number of methods (such as lightweight but rich web client, rdp/vnc/xserver style, or other lightweight client/server protocol).

Depending on the type of client and connection, the client could do the rendering directly or the server could render internally and stream it out to the various clients in whatever manner is most appropriate for that client.

totally agree. but i tink its a minor feature suggestion these days Wink
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
one more question to the symlinks for the database folder.

some days ago i changed my htpc to a mac mini with mac os x installed.
how can i map the database folder which iss located on my NAS?

where is the "homedir" of xbmc on my mac? can anyone help? im really not familiar with mac. hihi
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
ringgh0st Wrote:where is the "homedir" of xbmc on my mac? can anyone help? im really not familiar with mac. hihi
Should be
Code:
/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/XBMC/
I have submitted patches some months ago to allow remote db capabilities (initially via mysql). See ticket #8169.

It is currently only implemented for the music, video and view databases.
firny. could i also use these settings for the "standard" database of xbmc? so i do not have to set a symlink anymore?

or is it only a solution for a self generated sql database?
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
ringgh0st Wrote:firny. could i also use these settings for the "standard" database of xbmc?

What do you mean by standard? The trac ticket summary explains it's usage in full detail.

ringgh0st Wrote:so i do not have to set a symlink anymore?

Exactly, symlinks are ugly.

ringgh0st Wrote:or is it only a solution for a self generated sql database?
You can not easily turn an existing sqlite3 (local) db into a remote (mysql) db. You will need to create the remote db itself (table generation is automatic) and permissions to the remote db.
Quote:What do you mean by standard? The trac ticket summary explains it's usage in full detail.
-> the database which is created by XBMC when i add a source

Quote:You can not easily turn an existing sqlite3 (local) db into a remote (mysql) db. You will need to create the remote db itself (table generation is automatic) and permissions to the remote db.

let me explain it a little bit more:
status quo: every "database" directory in the XBMC Profile directory on my 3 clients is symlinked to a "database"-directory on my NAS.

better way (with your ticket). do i need an extra SQL-Server for that? i cant get the point really sorry:

Code:
<musicdatabase>
  <type>mysql</type>
  <host>localhost</host>
  <port>3306</port>
  <user>xbmc</user>
  <pass>xbmc</pass>
  <name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>

for me it seeems that i have to connect to a remote sql server. but i dont have any ;(
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
ringgh0st Wrote:status quo: every "database" directory in the XBMC Profile directory on my 3 clients is symlinked to a "database"-directory on my NAS.

Unfortunately this won't work for dumb NAS's (ie proprietary COTS with no ability to customise).

ringgh0st Wrote:for me it seeems that i have to connect to a remote sql server. but i dont have any ;(

Yes you do need a remote SQL server, currently the patch only supports mysql remote db's Blush
firnsy Wrote:Yes you do need a remote SQL server, currently the patch only supports mysql remote db's Blush

i c. so its no solution for my problem unfortunatly Sad

but thanks anyways. again im a little bit smarter Big Grin
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
With 3 macs in the house, and atleast two more coming, and with each of them running XBMC, keeping the libraries syncronized can be a pain in the ass. Symlinks will get the job done, but has issues if youre scraping on one mac while xbmc is open on another etc.

The plex team is working on a new library structure, that supposedly handles these setups better. Anything similar in the progress for XBMC?
It will end in tears.

At the end of the day if you have NAS then updating library on start up does not appear to be that harder problem surely?

I think a get by right now would be the ability to tell XBMC to check library in the background (i.e. don't tell you about it) every hour or what ever.
same boat, multiple machines, all accessing the same stuff.
i want to be able to stop a movie in one room and resume it in the other, and want everything to be in each device and look the same. same posters for each movie etc.
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines2