• 8(current)
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines
TeknoJnky Wrote:in other words,

smb://server/movies/movie.avi

should work for both

Thanks for the replies guys. Where can I go to edit the smb path? After doing so, are you suggesting I use a syncing solution such as SyncToy to keep the two computers on the same page or how do I jump that hurdle?
Question 
Hi all, I wonder if anyone can help me. I have two Xboxes running XBMC in different rooms. All my media is on a NAS which they can both access fine through a SMB share.

At the moment they are pretty much set up identically. However, if I add more items to my media library I have to remember to update both libraries (updating on startup isn't practical due to the volume of media) and when I watch something on one Xbox, I have to tag it as watched manually on the other.

Is it possible for the media library info to be on the NAS and both Xboxes access it. In particular would there be issues if both tried to access it at the same time and would it cause a bog slowdown?

Cheers for any help.
I do not have an answer to this but wanted to know if you got an answer and what it was. Could you let me know?
I think correct me if Im wrong with the newer xbmc builds tech daily builds. You can export your library from there if you have your library exported into your nas drive. It should pick it up?
When you get one xbox set-up the way you need, you can just transfer the Userdata folder to the other xbox.
I have been using Microsoft's Live Mesh to sync the userdata folder between machines to sync databases and info between machines. The only drawback I had before was that the username had to be the same on the different machines. This maybe fixed by installing it in portable mode. I found that This method also helps with my info on watched movies in library mode and with thumbs nails for all medias also I can add something to the DB on one machine and it is added on the others.

http://www.mesh.com its free just make sure you dont sync with the Live desktop only between the systems themselves.

Warning if you have a huge library ( I have over 800 movies) it will take some time to sync initially
I've got 6 instances of xbmc running on various platforms (XP,Vista,ubuntu 9.04,Sabayon 4,mythbuntu 8.10 and Sabayon MCE 4.0 )

So this has become a real hassle for me, the best idea I've come up with would be to have a set content option that would do the lookups to another xbmc instance (perhaps by smb sharing the DB), I think this method would be easier to implement cross-platform and would only require one machine to be on all time, which in my case is always true because one macine hosts the content.

That however is as far as I have went with the concept if if was PHP/Mysql I could probably bang out a quick solution, but I've never picked up python and have not even looked into what the DB is in xbmc.
xbmc uses sqlite
To do this across multiple PC's, running NT or Vista...

Create a folder on your server to act as the shared USERDATA folder.

Install XBMC on each of your PCs and install in 'portable mode'.

Now, within each PC's XBMC folder... delete the userdata folder then create the following SYMBOLIC LINK to your network userdata folder...

mkdir /d "userdata" "\\myserver\shareduserdata\"

this will make a symbolic link from each of your PC's to one common folder on the server.

HOWEVER... never manipulate data from multiple PC's at the same time.... do your scanning on one PC only.
Also... be aware that the 'local' database is now on a server, so you better have a fast network, since XBMC wasn't designed to do this!

If any of this is confusing to you.... be careful, this isn't rocket science but it's also not for beginners.
Lightbulb 
Arkade Wrote:Hey guys,

I've been using XBMC for years, but I constantly have the problem where I try to play a file thats not available, because the server computer is powered down.
I use XBMC with multiple PCs (one for each member of family) and everything is shared through SMB. I was wondering if there would perhaps be some possibility to share the libraries so that it would be a little more... dynamic.

I mean that if I was using XBMC on the pcs (which I do) I could set it up on each computer to only find the media on the pc, and share it via upnp (if configured). That way any other XBMC could detect the machine, and get the library, thus not needing to scan all the data again. The other advantage would be that it would therefore hide offline content automatically (unless the folder was left open for ages).

What do you think? A possibility... eventually, or just a pipe dream?
Cheers
- Arkade

I think it would be possible if the database will be splitted to some separate parts, which will be stored on each media source (1 part per each media source). So, when XBMC starts up, it lookups all media sources (both local and remote), loads the parts of database from it. And then merges them to one common database. So, if some sources are temporary unavailable, the proper database part will not been added to the common database at the current start up.
By the way, if you have more then 1 XBMC device, you could update the database only once, all other XBMC devices will load already updated database parts at the next start up.
Lightbulb 
And one more idea.
XBMC device could even cache downloaded database parts locally and then (on next start up) check the checksum, and, if they not been changed/updated from the last start up, use the cached part to improve start up time. So, it would download only changed database parts, but not all of them.
Just tagging on the back of this as my question is related (I think). I currently have XBMC setup on my main comp, but am building a new HTPC. I plan to try a live install on the new rig, could I just export my library from my existing setup and import to the live install (on a USB drive)? Its only a one time run to transfer the library, not something I need to sync or repeat.
spiff Wrote:xbmc uses sqlite

OK I can do PHP/sqlite and just fake one of the existing lookup options by editing the hosts file and using wireshark to learn the expected format, now all I need is some time
Ok, i've read through this entire thread 3 times now...

Can somebody PLEASE just write a script!?

I know you can trigger scripts when XBMC loads as I had a script running a few years back.

What it needs to do is:

1) On the Master Xbox (the one that you update and make changes to), open an FTP session, copy the 'MyVideos34.db' from '/E/XBMC/UserData/Database' to the server (Where the shared files are).

2) On the Slave Xboxs have a different script that opens an FTP session, copies the 'MyVideos34.db' from the server location to '/E/XBMC/UserData/Database'.

This will allow the entire network to have the most up to date database at all times!

Am I missing something else?

Help regarding this script would be greatly appreciated!
Hey spritemv .. did you get this working? Want to do the same thing with my machines, but I'm also not sure where can I go to edit the smb path?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines2