• 6(current)
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines
I think there is a way for Linux and Windows systems. Create a symlink (on Linux) or NTFS Link (on Windows) to a shared directory (in this case, the UserData for XBMC) on all systems. This way, all computers are using the same data located on one computer.

However, you cannot use local media in your library if you do this. The reason for this is that computer1 will have H:\Films\, but computer2 should access \\computer1\Films\ for the movies. So, when adding items to your library, you need to add them over the network -- even for the local computer. So, computer1 accesses \\computer1\...\, as will all other computers on the network.
First of all, I've got to thank every each of you hardworkin' developers for even making XBMC possible. I've used it since the early versions on Xbox and followed (and used) the project since early linux port.

The library function is awesome, and I've come to like it more and more. The thing is that I got four different computers running XBMC (two laptops, one stationary and XBOX) and to keep all those up to date I've got to update their libraries manually. That's were my feature suggestion comes in;

What about adding a remote library function? Like, say 192.168.0.2 got XBMC running and "serving" its library (possibly password protected) and other computers can just enter 192.168.0.2 as library path and "check out" the library, kinda like a SVN repos. That would be extremely comfortable and maybe could introduce a network online buddy recommendations and tips in the future, based on what you've liked and disliked in your own library.

My apologies if this has already been suggested, I did a few searches though and couldn't find anything quite like thisso I thought I'd post a new thread about it.

Thanks and greetings,
peol.
I too would very much like this feature if it is possible - rather than storing several copies of the same library on each individual XBOX or computer, an option to browse to a single library stored on a network share would be a really good feature. Presuming of course that several instances of XBMC would be able to use this shared library at the same time - perhaps the first instance could check it out to allow read/write, while all other instances would only be able to read.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4826
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
sho Wrote:http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4826
and read these => http://forum.xbmc.org/tags.php?tag=synchronize

Rolleyes
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Smile 
S__G Wrote:I think there is a way for Linux and Windows systems. Create a symlink (on Linux) or NTFS Link (on Windows) to a shared directory (in this case, the UserData for XBMC) on all systems. This way, all computers are using the same data located on one computer.

However, you cannot use local media in your library if you do this. The reason for this is that computer1 will have H:\Films\, but computer2 should access \\computer1\Films\ for the movies. So, when adding items to your library, you need to add them over the network -- even for the local computer. So, computer1 accesses \\computer1\...\, as will all other computers on the network.

you can create a symlink called "H:" that links to whatever you like... so you can have windows like naming on unix... thts how i host my itunes library and have other apps use it. Smile
Question 
Hi all,
I've two PC with Xbmc installed.
The first one , let's call it "master" has all the media files on its disks.
The second one , let's call it "player" gets media from the master using windows folder sharing (I've got same path name for media on both PCs)
Now I copy library whenever I get updates on master

Is it possible to have only one library shared between the two PCs?

Is it possible to share the whole XBMC installation (settings included)?

I suppose I've to work with "portable" installation fo xbmc but I'd like to understand if you have better suggestions.

Thanks in advance to all you.

Ciao

CAP
Possible solution: install XBMC in the same shared folders as media.
Is it feasible?

CAP
I have no experience of using mapped drives but what i can teel you is that if you are using a new SVN then you can share the userdata folder with the exclusion of the guisettings file.

I share but by syncing folders not mapping drives
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
If you're only watching on the 'player' PC then you don't even need XBMC on the 'master'.
Hitcher Wrote:If you're only watching on the 'player' PC then you don't even need XBMC on the 'master'.

I obviously use both PC....Nod
Not really sure then, sorry.
Not sure if this is possible, but i know u can choose the location of your library on the OS X build so thought id ask...
I've got a normal Xbox, running XBMC, and a mac laptop, also running XBMC for when the housemates are using the TV, but i get tired of updating my library depending on which device i watch on... is there a way of hosting the library on say my macserver (where the smb shares are) and linking both the xbox and laptop to it..

thanks..
and sorry if its been asked before?
It has been asked before, yes.

The easiest way to do it is to just copy your userdata over from one build to the other, though this assumes that the paths used on both machines are the same (i.e. the media files are shared off a remote share on both machines etc.) and that the versions of XBMC used are in sync (at least as far as the versions of the database files are concerned).

There's a couple of alternatives to this:

1. Do all updating on the one machine, then just export your library to individual files. That way, all the information is kept next to your media files, and so scanning the library is very fast.

2. Use upnp to share your library on one machine to the other, though this isn't quite as rich as the local library experience as yet.

Cheers,
Jonathan

oops sorry my bad, thanks anyway..

• 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines2