• 13(current)
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines
RckStr Wrote:I didnt understand any of that but if its implemented, I dont know howto use it.

Then the feature that I'm talking about is probably not for you...
But anyone who's interested enough to read the thread that I linked before will be able to store their media library in a central database(not a SQLite symlinked db, but a real multiuser, concurrent transactions/connections capable MySQL database). So every PC or MAC running XBMC can access that central database even simultaneously (instead of using a local database for each instance of XBMC), avoiding the need to scrape movie info once per each XBMC. Also sharing the info of watched/unwatched movies/tvshows/musicvideos and any other info that XBMC stores in the media library database (like stop/resume bookmarks).
For even more specific info, you can read this which explains how to use the feature.
charrua Wrote:For even more specific info, you can read this which explains how to use the feature.

Thanks for the link(s), I totally overlooked this, this is perfect!

Can't wait for the merge to finish (or will need to checkout r28276) to update all AppleTV's to use a centralized MySQL db.

Stop watching in one room, continue in the other, jay!

( Still will have to run the IMDB updater though to update the IMDB ratings, but became quite a lot easier )
If anyone can explain in english howto get this working it be great. The two links provided are way to technical, they might as well have been written in hebrew. It seems the patch or whatever it is does provide exactly the functionality Im seeking though.
JPDeckers Wrote:Thanks for the link(s), I totally overlooked this, this is perfect!

Can't wait for the merge to finish (or will need to checkout r28276) to update all AppleTV's to use a centralized MySQL db.

Stop watching in one room, continue in the other, jay!

( Still will have to run the IMDB updater though to update the IMDB ratings, but became quite a lot easier )

You're very welcome. Regarding IMDB ratings, I believe that they are also stored in the database, so there's no need to update them individually when you use a central database...
RckStr Wrote:If anyone can explain in english howto get this working it be great. The two links provided are way to technical, they might as well have been written in hebrew. It seems the patch or whatever it is does provide exactly the functionality Im seeking though.

That's why I told you that the feature was probably not for you, because is technical, still experimental and not for the faint of heart. Anyway I'll try to explain(from what I understood after reading the info in the links that I already posted) the steps you need to do in order to use it:

1. Setup a MySQL server (a database server) accesible from all the machines running XBMC. Even some NAS support running MySQL server, so an option is to run the database server directly on your NAS (if you have one that supports it) or run it on any machine that you want (MySQL server is freeware and supports lots of OSs).

2. Modify your advancedsettings.xml located in the userdata folder of XBMC adding this lines:
Code:
<videodatabase>
  <type>mysql</type>
  <host>localhost</host>
  <port>3306</port>
  <user>xbmc</user>
  <pass>xbmc</pass>
  <name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>
where:
host is the network address of the server running MySQL
port is the port used by the MySQL server (default is 3306)
user and pass are the credentials used to connect to the MySQL server
and name is the name of the MySQL database you want XBMC to use it must be all lowercased
(you don't need to create the database, XBMC will create it for you the first time you run it after modifying the advancedsettings.xml).

You can also setup a central database for music albums, you need to add these additional lines to your advancedsettings.xml:
Code:
<musicdatabase>
  <type>mysql</type>
  <host>localhost</host>
  <port>3306</port>
  <user>xbmc</user>
  <pass>xbmc</pass>
  <name>xbmc_music</name>
</musicdatabase>
The same explanation given for videodatabase applys here, just one more thing: you can't share the same database for music and video, so just pick a different name for each database (also all lowercased)
Note: Remember to modify the advancedsettings.xml of each XBMC you intend to share the MySQL database with.

Well that's just about it... wasn't so hard, was it?

@RckStr
Just a piece of advice, when you ask someone for an explanation about something that you don't understand for yourself, at least try to be polite.
charrua Wrote:Regarding IMDB ratings, I believe that they are also stored in the database, so there's no need to update them individually when you use a central database...

Yes, correct. I however want to update the ratings every now and then, because XBMC only sets them during scraping, and (ofcourse) the number of votes (and sometimes the rating) changes over time.

Want to keep an up2date copy Wink
JPDeckers Wrote:Yes, correct. I however want to update the ratings every now and then, because XBMC only sets them during scraping, and (ofcourse) the number of votes (and sometimes the rating) changes over time.

Want to keep an up2date copy Wink

Oh, I see... In that case you should modify the pearl script you posted to update IMDB ratings in the central MySQL database instead of the local SQLite one, and you'll be good to go. Smile
charrua Wrote:@RckStr
Just a piece of advice, when you ask someone for an explanation about something that you don't understand for yourself, at least try to be polite.

Im sorry if I came of rude. That wasnt my intention at all. Thanks for the guide. It did help alot.
Thumbs Up 
RckStr Wrote:Im sorry if I came of rude. That wasnt my intention at all. Thanks for the guide. It did help alot.

No problem then. I'm glad it helped.
charrua Wrote:No problem then. I'm glad it helped.

Pretty cool so far. I like it.

Question though. With something like this now running how would one go about permanently disabling sqllite on the ATV ?
rla1022 Wrote:Pretty cool so far. I like it.

Question though. With something like this now running how would one go about permanently disabling sqllite on the ATV ?

As long as you are using the MySQL databases you won't be using the SQLite ones, if for some reason you lose connection to the MySQL server, XBMC will fallback to the local SQLite databases (which are not server based). What exactly do you mean by "permanently disabling sqlite on the ATV"?
charrua Wrote:As long as you are using the MySQL databases you won't be using the SQLite ones, if for some reason you lose connection to the MySQL server, XBMC will fallback to the local SQLite databases (which are not server based). What exactly do you mean by "permanently disabling sqlite on the ATV"?

I have not noticed the fallback. In fact i have seen a complete opposite where it will lock up the atv if it can not find the mysql db. What i was thinking was that disabling sql lite entirely may freeup resources and thereby speed up the gui. Your thoughts ?
No, it won't.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

rla1022 Wrote:I have not noticed the fallback. In fact i have seen a complete opposite where it will lock up the atv if it can not find the mysql db. What i was thinking was that disabling sql lite entirely may freeup resources and thereby speed up the gui. Your thoughts ?

Actually even when XBMC is not accesing SQLite video and music databases it will still use other SQLite dbs for storing folder view modes (stored in ViewModes.db) and also dbs for programs and scripts libraries (which are not ported to MySQL yet). Anyway not using SQLite at all will not freeup resources, because SQLite is practically not using resources in the first place: SQLite is not server based, that means that unlike MySQL it doesn't need any additional program running in order to access the databases, it's file based (XBMC accesses the SQLite db files directly). That's also why you can't "disable" SQLite, because there is nothing to disable.
Regarding XBMC GUI, you'll probably see slower speeds while using MySQL database because it's located in a remote server (and also because SQLite is natively faster than MySQL), the big advantages that you have with MySQL against SQLite are: native networking capability (which SQLite lacks) and concurrency (that means simultaneous connections) and that's why it's a good alternative to SQLite when you need several XBMC instances to access(sometimes simultaneously) a central (and remote) db.
If you have a particular problem while using the MySQL connection (like the lockup you describe), you should enable the debug log in XBMC and ask for troubleshooting help in the specific thread of the feature.
Im trying to set this up now but im a little confused regarding the patches and how to apply them. Can someone please elaborate? Or is there a Pre-patched svn availiable yet?
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to share and synchronize XBMC userdata profiles between multiple machines2