Code:
CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc';
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'xbmc';
and configure advancedsettings.xml to connect everything works great

BUT, when i reset my mysql setup and run this
Code:
CREATE USER 'xbmc' IDENTIFIED BY 'xbmc';
GRANT ALL ON `my%`.* TO 'xbmc';
xbmc will not connect or create the DB's?

why? the two DB's it would create and populate if given full access are myvideos75 and mymusic32, so how come when i isolate it to anything starting with "my" it wont work?

my problem is much deeper as i want to put my library on a mysql server that has much more running on it, so either a. i cant give DB creation access (so i have to create it manually which when i do xbmc wont play with it) or b. i can give temporary full access and reduce it once the DB's have been created by xbmc, but i am worried to do so because i have no clue what else is going on... why would it need more than those 2 dbs? i cant risk xbmc messing up the other DB's on my server.

Thanks,
-aPeg
It can't make the databases as it has no server rights to create a database.
The command you executed only grants full rights on databases starting with "my".
Create a user using your first command, then after creating the tables, reduce the rights to have full access on the XBMC database only if security is an issue for you.

You can also let XBMC create the tables on a temporary or virtual server. Then export the tables and import them on your own server and assign rights.
There is no specific need for XBMC to generate the db and its tables directly on the server you wish to use in the end...
looks like i have some more learning to do with mysql Undecided

Anyhow i did it the lazy way:
- gave full permissions to the user
- let xbmc create the DB and table structure
- locked down the account after that

not my favorite way but it got the job done, thanks muldereric

-aPeg

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mysql xmbc doing more than it seems?0