External USB soundcard support???
I was considering buying a RPi to set up a XBMC box. But I need optical output to send audio to my 5.1. Currently I do it using a Linux PC with an external USB sound card with optical output, but I have read in the RPi FAQ, section 1.5, that there is no "USB audio support". I suppose this means I cannot connect my external USB soundcard to the RPi to output sound using that soundcard, right?

Is USB Audio support being worked on, or should I abandon hope about this to happen?

Is there other way to output 5.1 audio to an optical or coaxial output using the RPi?
If I am not mistaken the RPi is capable of outputting DTS 7.1 surround sound. If it does 7.1 it will surely do 5.1. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as I know the best or only way to achieve this is through the HDMI port. Why use a USB sound card when you've got HDMI audio available to you?

I don't have the appropriate receiver hardware to verify any more than two audio channels; this means 2.0 stereo.

What you need is a HDMI audio extractor with optical out. I have seen a number of these devices on eBay and electronics stores.
HDMI audio extractor? I didn't know such a thing exists. I'll search to see what can I find. That could definitely solve my problem. Thanks!
Just look in Amazon for: ViewHD Premium HDMI to HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA L / R) Audio Extractor | Converter or any other converter.

VieW HD Converter
Does this device do dual outpot HDMI and SPDIF at the same time ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
External USB soundcard support???0