complete newbie here but trying to learn
So I've read several threads and articles about how xbmc works and how I can use it with my TV. I am trying to learn more about the system to make sure I build the correct system for my situation. If someone could help answer the following questions, that would be great. I guess my overall goal is to eliminate by DVD collection and get rid of the rediculous monthly fee's from my cable provider

1) I just bought a Samsung SmarTV which has NetFlix, Hulu, Vudo, etc available as app's so I would not need my HTPC to stream this type of content, correct? If I understand correctly, I can rip my existing DVD/BluRay's to my HTPC's HD and access through my TV to my HTPC, thus eliminated the need to keep all of the DVD's nearby?

2) As far as TV Tuner, I've read I can add this to my HTPC and access live TV and even record shows. Would this still mean I would pay for basic cable with a provider and just hook the cable up to the tuner at the HTPC, thus elimating the need for the box and paying for DVR service?

3) For best quality streaming, how fast of an internet speed do you recommend and what is the best equipment setup you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

1. Yes. Yes.
2. Yes. Keep in mind you'll only be able to watch/record the basic cable channels, since that's the plan you're going with.
3. Go with the plan with the fastest speed and highest download cap you are willing to pay. Wired network rather than wifi.
#2 depends on the cable company. Some will let you access most, if not all, channels,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
complete newbie here but trying to learn0