Why most skins are dark?
I'm using Aeon MQ4. Any way that I can change it to a lighter theme ? I don't like my screen all dark
I know that Aeon Nox has a white theme for it.
I like vivid colours... "ala" Web 3.0..

One major issue of open source software is that most people involved are developers... and developers are not good at taking UI desicions...
Another good option is the Transparency skin since it is based on the concept of displaying the most of your fan art. That way you'll only be in the dark if your fan art are dark.

And, no it isn't a developer thing. Everybody is going dark these days, from Microsoft with win8 to apple... Dark is the new shiny :-)
it probably has to do with focus on content. colorful skins distract from actual media.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
(2013-04-04, 21:57)Tuxon86 Wrote: Another good option is the Transparency skin since it is based on the concept of displaying the most of your fan art. That way you'll only be in the dark if your fan art are dark.

And, no it isn't a developer thing. Everybody is going dark these days, from Microsoft with win8 to apple... Dark is the new shiny :-)

Thank you. I didn't know Transparency foundation was to display most of your art. I'll give it a try.

Regarding MS.. I think of Windows 8 as Blue.. Apple/OSX/iOS as White... but I think of XBMC as black. You may have a point anyway saying that the industry is going toward blacks. Not sure why.
(2013-04-04, 21:30)Faire Wrote: and developers are not good at taking UI desicions...

Good coders rarely have an artistic eye. And vice versa. It is a left brain/right brain thing. In the industry it is normal to separate the artistic design choices from the physical coding.
Hey,

I like something a little brighter too, try out Saste mod of xperience.
We all bash ideas about re: colours, features, changes etc and its more of a "community spirit" mod type scenario.

Saste is open to all ideas, he is not a skinner (more artwork) and has taken his on visions plus designs and ideas from the community and has modelled them ino a wonderful (jaw dropping) theme for the users.

Great guy, great community thread and absolutly awesome themed design.

Still a WIP, there are a few bugs and features etc still to figure out... But it's gorgeous, bright, elegant a real focal point! WAF factor in my house of girls (wife/kids) is very very high!

Simple, effective, functional, beautiful!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=160560

Give it a try,
See what you think
Pat Big Grin
(2013-04-04, 23:04)voochi Wrote:
(2013-04-04, 21:30)Faire Wrote: and developers are not good at taking UI desicions...

Good coders rarely have an artistic eye. And vice versa. It is a left brain/right brain thing. In the industry it is normal to separate the artistic design choices from the physical coding.

That's right. And that's why open source software tend to fail at UI. OSS is usually done by developers and no people focused exclusively on design is involved at the beginning of the projects. Linux has been in the market for 20 years now and they've always struggled with UI design. You can make a great product built by the best developers and have the best algorithms.. but if you don't put a good and friendly front-end and endup building a product by developers for developers.. it can turn to be a disaster.

PD: Just incase, I'm not saying XBMC is bad at UI. Actually I love XBMC UI. But it can be improved and I'm just describing the cons of OSS projects.
Feel free to post your designs of all the needed windows in jpg format.

List of all windows in the foundation skin as jpg:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94438

Forum section where you can post your skin design:
http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=160
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
Most TV is black. Black is eyes friendly. Doesn't burn your plasma. More energy efficient.
(2013-04-04, 22:00)phil65 Wrote: it probably has to do with focus on content. colorful skins distract from actual media.

(2013-04-06, 23:51)Marx1 Wrote: Most TV is black. Black is eyes friendly. Doesn't burn your plasma. More energy efficient.

+1

and also because batman dresses in black.
Image Image
Did I Help? Add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why most skins are dark?0