Solved ATV2 Long click on MENU no longer brings up Context Menu
Ok, I kind of narrowed it down:

1. Reflashed the ATV completely and jailbroke it again. now using the 5.2 firmware (thought I just updated a bit)
2. works perfectly in my "lab" using a PC monitor
3. Placed it in the bedroom again, where it belongs
4. Guess what, it doesn't work there.

So I finally narrowed it down to the TV. (I upgraded a few weeks ago and it could be thats the point where the problem started) The problem seems to be connected to the hdmi. The TV I am using is an LG Plasma P670S. I then disabled LG's Simplink suspecting it is something about CEC but it didn't help.

The ATV is connected via a Yamaha receiver, HDMI control also switched off.

If I switch the receiver to another hdmi (where the ATV is not connected to) I can see, that the ATV is perfectly performing the press and hold as the LED dims while holding a button.
When I switch back again, the ATV stop the press and hold - nevertheless it works when XMBC is not running (using lowtide).
Is there any setting I could play with to eliminate the problem?

HELP!! I really am out of ideas here.

Umtauscher
sry but thats just kind of to special and weired to tell you anything usefull ...
Is there any way to disable the CEC in Frodo?
As I suspect this to be the cause, that would be the only option.
Thanks
There is not supposed to be any CEC support in the AppleTV port. But you can check if you have the settings mentioned here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=CEC

You could also look for libcec. Deleting the lib file would disable it for sure
Thanks, so libcec is not on The ATV.
Still XBMC has problems with this TV.
Very sad...
(2013-04-27, 20:07)umtauscher Wrote: So I finally narrowed it down to the TV. (I upgraded a few weeks ago and it could be thats the point where the problem started) The problem seems to be connected to the hdmi. The TV I am using is an LG Plasma P670S. I then disabled LG's Simplink suspecting it is something about CEC but it didn't help.
Plasma's are horrible for throwing out IR interference - try shielding the ATV physically somehow.
Wow, you nailed it!! Great, I really apreciate your help.
I had to put the ATV 20 cm behind (!) the front of the screen and turn it arround, so that the IR sensor looks backwards.
Really unbelievable.
I am so happy, finally I can use my ATV again as it's supposed to work

Cheers
Umtauscher
Hi guys
Dont know if this is solved, as I too have this issue (well a version of it anyway!).Exiting xbmc then relaunching doesn't fix it only a complete reset ie hold menu+down, sorts it temporarily. It works for a little bit, but after playing a video it stops working. I was happy for a while, but now it seems after upgrading nitoTV (complete upgrade) it seems to be more frequent. Really annoying when your trying to sort out your library.

I think your onto something in that it could be a lib version of some sort. Any tools which can dump out all versions to then maybe compare with one that works? Maybe I could try reinstalling NitoTV? Any help appreciated. Im on Frodo 12.2
This was never a software related problem in XBMC. It was always either low battery or IR interferences by other devices. Just read the solutions (and all of them found one afaik). You won't find any bugfix in XBMC for this - its always related to the used environment.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I find that if you have LCD or plasma, if you have the auto-dim feature activated in TV menu settings, it will have major interference at all times depending on where set-top box/devices are located with the proximity to actual tv screen dimming sensor, but once you turn off the auto-dim/brightness feature all remotes whether tv or aptv or even cable box or satellite remotes instantly improves....what a headache lol I'm just glad it's solved my interference issues with most of my remotes because they were all so close to screen and sensor path...maybe this info can help someone with this nuisance...BlackPanther
Yeah once the plasma only interfered when showing the XBMC home menu. So it worked in normal atv2 software but once in XBMC it stopped working. Sure i would blame XBMC for that at first glance aswell ... Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
yea na I wouldnt for a sec be pointing fingers of accusation, just curious as to what may be causing my weirdness!
If it was interference related, resetting the Atv2 wouldnt bring context back working until I play a video. And whats weirder is sometimes playing a video to the end can magically fix the context menu, only for it to stop working again directly after playing a video. Just thought xbmc may be invoking something something to influence the context menu erratic behaviour since it seems to happen when a file is played back. Just a wild theory, Im sure to be completely barking up the wrong tree..:-). I got new batteries too! :-)
It is not xbmc - i can only repeat myself - read the Code if you want - we don't do anything like what your theory says. Actually we don't do anything Once xbmc is started but waiting for ios telling is which Button was pressed and released...
Hey Memph, trevez,

I find most of the interference waves reach their peak when you first turn on your tv set(in my case) sometimes a workaround is never turn your tv off hehehe, sometimes the best solution is the easiest Smile if you've confirmed through swapping out several good quality batteries.that it's not battery related, it must be location of device and how close the aptv remotes signal is crossing paths with the IR interference from tv screen sensors/dimmers..even other devices like cell or cordless phones...although this madness seems to have a pattern, it does in a way since random events also have patterns we don't understand...as the tv set stays on it will reach it's peak of IR Interference and the erratic behavior seems to improve and decrease....also sometimes based on humidity in the air, that will also affect performance of signal with respect to IR interference...it even goes further and affects peoples natural electrical energies and sometimes triggers massive migraines with people that have sensitivities to this interference of wireless,cordless Infrared microwave signals/waves/frequencies....true story our old 900mhz cordless phone used too pick up planes radio interference conversations flying overhead....thats one of the reasons why they started using a different frequency 5.8 & 6.0 ghz on the newer cordless models...my wife and I would also hear the neighborhoods babies and their moms/dads on our own baby monitor when when we would turn ours on....it was soooo freaky and testy sometimes especially when involves your kids, or so you thought....anyhoo I hope this sheds some light on the strangeness of IR frequency interference....like memph said good battery or try the aptv in different location will solve it for sure I hope Smile....have fun & good-luck man...BP

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 Long click on MENU no longer brings up Context Menu1