Linux Background on the dynamic range compression feature?
Hi,

just finished setting up my new ubuntu studio based brutefir-htpc with xbmc! It sounds GREAT!

One old problem has grown bigger, though: Killer-dynamics! - When watching movies now I actually have to watch holding the remote in my hands, because the dynamic simply blows you out of your seat once something get's loud.

So I looked around for a dynamic range compressor and found several hints:

- advancedsettings.xml lets me set [limiterhold] and [limiterrelease] while the wiki-page states that the audioengine has it's own features. On the audioengine wiki-page it says that some DSP-features, like dynamic range compression, are planned for the future.

So what about this compression from advancedsettings.xml? How does it blend in with audioengine? Is it still working at all?
I tried boosting up audio-amplification during playback in the audio-menu by 8 dBs and it seemed to somewhat lower the sound from my front-speakers but not my rear-speakers. Is that possible?

I'm really unsure of what that feature really does, especially since the slider suggests boosting volume, which again suggests clipping.

Can anyone shed some light on this, please?
The existing options in advancedsettings let you change the behavior of audio amplification, which does do some dynamic compression. In theory, you should be able to set your volume level so that pushing the volume with the amplification slider will not clip the audio when it gets loud (using audio compression, etc).

From what I understand, the future DRC features of AudioEngine will have some additional options and be easier to set, but you can get similar functionality from both.
Yes, I actually tried it meanwhile and it does work. It helps somewhat, but kinda degrades the sound. hard to tell wat, but it sounds strange. Anyway, I can surely live with it for a while and am looking forward for an implementation in AE. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Background on the dynamic range compression feature?0