Artwork Issue on Upgrade to 12.1, possible program or skin bug
I know artwork problems with people who have upgraded from Eden 11.0 to Frodo 12.0/12.1 have been discussed several times, and I have read many of the threads, however I have not seen clear resolution and have run into this problem myself. What I have surmised through the reading and my own experience is that there is possibly either a program bug or a skinning bug that cause this problem. Here's what I know:

The Problem:

1) When watching a movie and bringing up the UI, any of my "old" movies (ie, that were part of the library before the upgrade) will display a video snapshot in the cover area of the skin; new movies scanned after the upgrade will display the cover properly. This happens in both the included Confluence Skin and Aeon Nox that is downloaded from the Addins menu. It does NOT happen with Transparency!, but that's because Roni fixed it in the skin (read more on this part later). These skins are all the latest versions either included with the install (Confluence) downloaded from the Addins menu, so I assume they are the proper official releases for Frodo 12.1.

What I've Surmised;

When I look at the artwork for some of the movies in the skin, the old movies all show that they have: Cover, Fanart, Snapshot (or whatever it's called, I don't have it running infront of me right now). The newly scanned movies all have ONLY Cover and Fanart. So somehow the Confluence and Aeon Nox skins are picking up the snapshot and using that instead of the cover for these. It appears that if the snapshot doesn't exist, then the skin has no problem displaying the correct artwork.

When I first ran into this problem with another upgrade to 12.0 in January 2013, I posted the problem to the T! thread and Roni replied "these issues have been reported a few times before. i'm unsure why this is happening for some of you, maybe our upgrade shizzle from eden to frodo is not 100% waterproof. since it is possible to fix this skin side, i'll push an update shortly that should address these issues." http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1309360

He did so, and therefore the issue doesn't occur in T!, but since he did this skin-side, I believe the underlying problem still exists in Frodo.

This past weekend I upgraded another install from 11.0 to 12.1 anticipating the problem would have been fixed from 12.0 to 12.1, but still ran into it.

When I upgraded, I did the following:

1) set skin to Confluence before the upgrade to be sure the first launch would use the default skin
2) rename c:\program files\xbmc to c:\program files\xbmc.bak
3) installed 12.1 to c:\program files\xbmc
4) launched the new version
5) was prompted that artwork needed to be upgraded, let it do that overnight (took several hours)

My System is WinXP SP3 32bit (if it makes any difference).

Questions:

-Is there any utility or other way to have XBMC go through the library and delete all of the Snapshots so this problem goes away.
-OR, do all the skins need to be updated with whatever Roni did to T!?
-OR is there a bug in the program that didn't get removed where it is still looking at the snapshots which I assume have been depreciated and are no longer used.

Many thanks for any help
The REAL Joe
I can't say I've had issues... (of course I use T! almost exclusively) When upgrading I was prompted to convert the artwork, and let the conversion take place... (note it's not instant) then I exported to separate files, I was left with the new 'Movie-Poster.jpg' as a cover in all folders. If you ignore or pass on this conversion, the artwork doesn't show until you scrape or manually update, failing a -Poster,jpg image a snapshot is created.. I possible if you rush the system mid conversion, XBMC will create snapshot covers to supplant, and once snapshot covers are made, you're stuck. Take this as hypothetical with a grain of salt.

1) If the snapshots are named poster.jpg there isn't anyway to distinguish them from the true cover which should have the same name. If you're so lucky to have all your artwork in individual folders, a re-install might do it.

2)I haven't seen this issue at all. XBMC 12.1, what is the name of the snapshots?
(2013-04-13, 00:41)therealjoeblow Wrote: -Is there any utility or other way to have XBMC go through the library and delete all of the Snapshots so this problem goes away.

I've no idea what a "snapshot" is, but this utility will allow you to query your texture cache (s option) and, if "snapshots" are uniquely named, to delete them all (remove from texture cache, using the d option).

Alternatively, if you have garbage hanging around in your texture cache, you can "prune" it and have all the cruft automatically deleted (p/P option). Finally, if you still have problems with specific images appearing, then you can query the media library (j* options) to find out where these files originate - which movies, what artwork types etc. - and then try to do something about You can force all movies or specific movies to be re-cached (delete cached artwork, re-cache new artwork) using the C option.

At the very least you should be better informed by using the utility - it will allow you to query the media library for a movie (jd), and if you do not see these "snapshots" listed, but they continue to appear, then it's probably a skin bug (assuming you can't find any other association between the snasphots and items in your media library).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
sounds like a naming issue -
dvd cover pic - poster.jpg
fanart - fanart.jpg
banner - banner.jpg
disc - disc.png
logo - logo.png
snapshot? - possibly extrathumb.jpg (needs to be in its own extrathumb folder inside movie)
if you rename images correctly - refresh the movie then run artwork downloader with 'use local files' checked it will look in your folder for local art then scrape if none found.
as for the snapshot image - does it exist in your folder? you may want to delete it

as a test just try this on one movie at a time until comfortable with doing a few movie
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
...Sorry, wasn't at my HTPC when I posted this, so I got the exact terminology wrong and apparently have caused confusion. In the Skin, when looking at any item and selecting "Choose Artwork", I have the following (showing within XBMC) for the "old" movies:

-poster
-fanart
-thumb

For the "new" movies, only poster and fanart.

*ALL* of the artwork is contained in the database and XBMC's folders exclusively, I have none of it with the movies themselves if that helps understand the issue better. Mo movies are stored in a single folder (well, numerous single folders with each added as a source) as such:

c:\movies\

...and within that folder:

movie1.720p.x264.mkv
movie1.720p.x264.nfo
movie2.720p.x264.mkv
movie2.720p.x264.nfo
movie3.720p.x264.mkv
movie3.720p.x264.nfo
movie4.720p.x264.mkv
movie4.720p.x264.nfo
...etc

The .nfo's only contain a link to the imdb page for the movie so that they are scanned properly, nothing else, no "database" information.

As I said, none of the posters, fanart or thumbs are stored with the movies, it's all internal to XBMC's database and however that is stored in the user folder.

thx
The REAL Joe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Artwork Issue on Upgrade to 12.1, possible program or skin bug0