Solved Add Videos gone after restart
Hi All:

Newbie question here.

Just finishing installing XBMC(I assumed it is latest version from apt-get install xbmc) after a fresh install of Xubuntu. I was trying to add a samba network location to my video files. However, after I restart xbmc or reboot, the file list is disappeared.

Suppose I am adding a shared name TV at location 192.168.1.2 with id/pass=1234/5678

My steps:
Videos -> Files -> Add Videos -> Browse -> Add Network location:
Protocol: SMB
Server Name: 192.168.1.2
Shared Folder: TV
Username: 1234
Password 5678

OK-> (Click smb://192.168.1.2/TV) -> OK.
(Back to Add Video Source page) -> Click Add -> OK.
(Now the video source TV is added).

I close xbmc, restart.

Go back to Video-> Files. (TV is gone), I try to add it again:
Add Videos -> Browse
(smb://192.168.1.2/TV) is still there.

Is there anyway I can make my video sources persistent?

Thank you all.

Edit:

Manually add ~/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml And re-add the SMB share again does the trick.
They are perisitent, but you may be starting XBMC before the network is up on your computer, or when the smb server is otherwise not available.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi:

Thanks for the reply. However, this time I make sure that the SMB server is up, and the network is up and running before I start XBMC. I also try to not do anything before I click Video when XBMC starts up. All these options, however, did not work. I still have to manually add video sources in order for me to get it in the list. Do you think it is possible that I install Xubuntu or XBMC wrong?

Thanks.
Are the sources listed in ~/.xbmc/userdata/sources.xml ? (I think that is the file, i am not near a linux machine with xbmc at present)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes the sources are listed in ~/.xbmc/userdata/mediasources.xml, also in passwords.xml
what about sources.xml?
Nope. There's no sources.xml
That is weird because that is where video sources are defined.
Can you tell me the format and I'll try to manually add it and see if it does the trick?

Ah. Saw this post http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...urce_types

I manually add a sources.xml and restart XBMC, and add it again. This does the trick. (The sources.xml is overwritten to be the correct format.)

Thanks for your help
I guess your xbmc user has no rights to create files in the userdata - could that be possible ?
I checked that before. XBMC user has rights. As a stupid attempt I also tried to set permission as 777 for all files under the directory. Not working. So I changed it back.
I wonder if this is related to this bug:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/14272

Which has been fixed in master:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/84e1...17a2a09ef9

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add Videos gone after restart0