Linux Can "Try" XBMCbuntu, but can't Install it.
Sad 
I have an Intel NUC ("Next Unit of Computing"). It has no hard drive (not even an mSATA), but has 8 gb RAM. I created a USB boot flash drive. It boots to a screen that gives me the option to "try ubuntu." If I choose that option, XBMC starts up and runs. The other option is "install ubuntu." If I choose that option, the installer crashes within about 1.0 seconds.

I need to "install" XBMCubuntu. I can't get my advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml files to persist between boots if I always choose "try."

What am I doing wrong?
You need somewhere to install it to.
You need a hard drive to install it on. There are methods to install on a USB Flash drive however doing so from CD rom is not one of them.
(2013-04-28, 01:03)artrafael Wrote: You need somewhere to install it to.

(2013-04-28, 03:55)wri7913 Wrote: You need a hard drive to install it on. There are methods to install on a USB Flash drive however doing so from CD rom is not one of them.

Oh... the... burn...

OK, I'm stupid. I did not realize that I needed one USB as an install source and (in my case) another USB as an install target. Understanding that now, I have succeeded in getting much further down the road. However, it timed out (thrice) when downloading the "language packs" (or something like that).

If I don't get something running on this (XBMCbuntu, OpenELEC... something) really soon, I'll be sleeping in the garage. I bought an Intel Next Generation of Computing to replace the Pivos XIOS that I bought about four months ago, but I'll be damned if I can get it running -- on anything.
Don't tick the box that says something like "download packages during install".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
and you really should consider getting a small SSD for this. Running off a USB stick is like a ferrari on go-cart wheels.
(2013-04-28, 09:45)wsnipex Wrote: and you really should consider getting a small SSD for this. Running off a USB stick is like a ferrari on go-cart wheels.

I'll trust you on this... and order tonight... but what is (1) the absolute minimum size of mSATA that will work; and (2) what is the size of mSATA that you would recommend?

I've seen people say, "*a 64gb mSATA ain't that expensive, etc...*" blah, blah. I'll buy whatever size mSATA I reasonably need, but I don't want to throw away money.

(2013-04-28, 04:20)nickr Wrote: Don't tick the box that says something like "download packages during install".

<wah> Darn Confused now you tell me. </wah>
XBMCbunti I think requires a minimum of 4G drive to install on, but then it will start to fill up as you:

1. Download packages when you upgrade the system (you can clean those files out if it gets tight)
2. Install any other packages you want (again you can delete the package .deb files but the installed package will take up space.)
3. scrape your video library and get a whole lot of thumbnails/artwork etc into the system

I would say 16G is probably enough but if the cost of 32G is only marginally more, I would go for that.

EDIT: Now that I am home I have looked at the XBMCbuntu I have on a USB stick. It is presently using 2.8G - that is a virgin install plus a couple of extra packages, and a bit in the Thumbnails directory.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have xbmcbuntu installed on a 30gb OCZ vertex ssd. Its an older drive but more than fast enough for a linux box. With a swap file I still have at least 15GB free space. All my media is stored on HDDs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can "Try" XBMCbuntu, but can't Install it.0